We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York City with an 18 year old girl!!

London England
Level Contributor
122 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
New York City with an 18 year old girl!!

I have booked flights to surprise my daughter with a 5 day trip to New York for her 18th Birthday in July. Its just me and her (im 48!!). Please can I have some suggestions of a good, convenient and safe 4 star hotel in good proximity to shopping! Also some suggestions of where I can take her to eat thats fun, she likes Italian food and fish. Any suggestions too for something to do at night that obviously doesnt involve alcohol! Also any really good tours - She loves Sex and The City so we will defninitely do that one! Thanks so much

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York City with an 18 year old girl!!

whats the nightly budget in dollars and exact dates?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York City with an 18 year old girl!!

We stayed at the Omni Berkshire. Good rates through Expedia. It was in a great location. Have you looked into Brooklyn Flea. Different and fun. m

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York City with an 18 year old girl!!

also cafe wha? in the village may be a good alternative. Bowling? Show?

dovetail and blue water grill are goof for fish - depends what you mean by "fun".

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,665 posts
5,750 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York City with an 18 year old girl!!

Lots of Broadway shows to watch.

London England
Level Contributor
122 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York City with an 18 year old girl!!

we are coming from London England so not sure on nightly budget but a good 4 star hotel is preferable!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York City with an 18 year old girl!!

its difficult to advise without a nightly budget - star ratings only refer to the amenities a hotel has , not the "niceness"

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,470 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York City with an 18 year old girl!!

Ali24, I just got back from taking my 17 yr old daughter to NYC. (I am 54) It was a surprise for her birthday too. (you can read my review) I suggest staying somewhere in Times Square area. Many hotels to choose from. And a show is a must. We saw The Lion King and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. We saw Wicked last year. All three amazing shows! We had THE best time..didn't do a whole lot of planned or ticketed things (we did the shows, MoMA,..and a Back Stage Tour of Radio City Music Hall) other than that...it was just a lot of walking around, seeing the sights. Oh...we had breakfast the first morning at Ellens Stardust Diner. What fun that place is!! The servers all sing...as they are serving you. (my daughters is a BUG theatre buff...so that was just perfect!)

Edited: 19 April 2012, 13:20
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,470 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York City with an 18 year old girl!!

duh....that BIG....not Bug!! sheesh! :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New York City with an 18 year old girl!!

Hotel rates change daily. Telling us you want a 4* hotel is not enough info.

Recommended hotel sites include www.booking.com and www.quikbook.com . There may be others but these are sites I have also used and am happy to recommend.

Search the hotel sites and use TripAdvisor and www.oyster.com to read hotel reviews. You can also search for hotel availability on the TA and Oyster sites but I have never done so.

When looking at hotel booking sites, check to see if hotel taxes are included. They add approximately 15% to the total price if they are not included.

Shops are everywhere, so no worries on that score. If you want to shop for specific items, let people know so they can direct you.

If you choose to shop at department stores like Macy's, Lord & Taylor and Bloomingdales, they provide discount cards to overseas visitors. You get approx. 10% off with some products and brands excluded. You will need to show ID.

Evenings can be spent having dinner (maybe dinner in one place, dessert in another), going to theatre shows, seeing sporting events, window shopping/walking, going to museums that are open late, for example.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York City with an 18 year old girl!!

Also, please realize the folks here are volunteers. When you don't state a budget, we don't know how much you're willing to spend. You say 4 star,which can be very expensive. We could presume you do not have budget limitations and begin looking for hotels ,for you, that you cannot afford or at prices you do not wish to pay.

it will help if you tell us what amenities are required and which can be set aside. It would help GREATLY if you would do some looking on your own and find some places that interest you. Then you can come back and ask and we will have a better iodea of what you actually want. "4 star" is subjective

NYC is most 18 yr old gorls idea of heaven. You'll have a great time, wherever you stay in the city.