We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Pubs with music?

Ascension Island
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New York Pubs with music?

My husband and I are off to New York at the beginning of August for his 30th bday. We are there Thursday through to Monday and are looking for places to go out in the evening. We are not keen on traditional clubbing (house/electro music) or going to a musical so we were hoping to find some pub type places that play live music or have a dj that plays chart music, perhaps with a dance floor. We would like somewhere that is fun and not too stuffy. Any ideas would be welcome, thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Pubs with music?

Red Lion in the Village has live music

Ascension Island
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Pubs with music?

Yes, that looks like our sort of thing. Thanks!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Pubs with music?

yes food is pretty good too

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,556 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Pubs with music?

I know this is off topic but I see that you're from Ascension Island. With no disrespect intended, I've always wondered what life is like there. Did you grow up there? Are you stationed there are part of the UK military presence? I hope you don't mind my asking

Ascension Island
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Pubs with music?

We are from the UK, not military though. We are 5 months into a 3 year contract. It's a working island and no one has the right to live here unless they work here, even if they were born here. There are about 800 people living here, mainly Brits, US citizens and Saints (from Saint Helena). Weather is hot (30 degrees) and windy and there is no fresh produce grown here. All food comes by ship from South Africa or the UK. Life is very quiet and it feels very isolated, thus the break to New York! I don't mind you asking. There is an Ascension Island page in FB if you wanted to see some photos.

Edited: 19 April 2012, 20:11
Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Pubs with music?

I'll second the Red Lion. Nice atmosphere and there was a decent band when we were there. (We're 32 by the way but there was a good mix of ages to give you an idea.)

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Pubs with music?

I'm interested in this myself. Any recommendations other than Red Lion? Especially in TriBeCa/SoHo. What's the Canal Room like?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York Pubs with music?

..on the UWS you may want to take a look at www.theundergroundnyc.com/ Enjoy all!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,913 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York Pubs with music?

There are a fair number of bars with live music but few if any with dancing since there's something called a cabaret law that prohibits dancing in most places. Here's a list of places with live music.

http://murphguide.com/livemusic.htm

If you're interested in the dancing issue, here's a post from BrooklynMel

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4094248…

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York Pubs with music?

I have seen dancing at the Dueling Pianos around 46th and Broadway.