We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No day pass for subways?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
No day pass for subways?

Hey guys, I noticed metro doesn't offer a day pass. I'm staying for 3 days. So is it best if I put may be $10 dollars? I will be frequently traveling uptown and downtown.

Thanks

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No day pass for subways?

First of all, in NYC it is the subway, not the metro. Secondly, there is indeed no one-day fare card; the shortest time period for an unlimited fare card is one week. That being said, the one-week card becomes cheaper than pay-per-ride after 13 fares. If you are going to be using subways and buses more than 13 times during your 3 days, the one-week card is your better option.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,825 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No day pass for subways?

Ten dollars is only four rides, so I don't think that's going to get you very far. The shortest unlimited pass is 7 days, for $29. I think the breakeven point these days is 13 or 14 rides; will you take that many rides in your three days here? If so, just buy the 7-day pass. If not, I would start with $20 - you'll use it up faster than you think.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No day pass for subways?

Hola Ray.

Whenever we are going someplace in Manhattan we usually walk if the distance is no more than 1-2miles. Consequently, as we live in the Village, we are within “walking distance” of many of the sights and sites and rarely spend more than $10 each per week on the “metro”.

FYI, we each walk about 4 miles round trip a day to our offices (one is on Wall Street and the other near to Penn Station).

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No day pass for subways?

Not everyone is as fit (or crazy some would say) as you Matt--- most visitors will benefit by a weekly card if they are here more than 3 nights.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No day pass for subways?

Just to clarify, you can transfer from a subway to a bus, or vice versa, pretty much as long as the transfer occurs within a two-hour window. There are exceptions; for example, you can't ride a bus in one direction, get off and then board a bus on the same bus route, but just going in the opposite direction. But you can ride one bus and transfer to another bus route, all for one fare.

I realize this might be a bit confusing and, unfortunately, I couldn't find a reference to the MTA website when I checked just now, but I'm sure the transfer guidelines are outlined somewhere. Anyway, just wanted to clarify this point to highlight that it's not necessarily the actual number of bus or subway rides that you take, but the number of complete rides that you expect to take.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: No day pass for subways?

Hey, I appreciate everyones input as I am trying my best to organize this birthday trip.Does anyone know if the New York buses are transferable to New Jersey buses, without paying extra charge? My hotel is in Weehawken.(Sheraton Lincoln Harbour Hotel).

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No day pass for subways?

No, of course not; there is no reason in the world to expect the taxpayers of one state to subsidize the transportation of bus riders in another.

There is also no free transfer between the bi-state PATH trains and the New York City Subway, even where they share station complexes.

Edited: 21 April 2012, 04:39
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,683 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No day pass for subways?

Ray, I think the best thing to do is actually search & read whats on the forum already, there's so much useful information already posted. The MTA site is also verygood & useful as well for finding answers to queries

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,825 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: No day pass for subways?

The unlimited Metrocard only works on local city buses and the subway. You can use a pay per ride Metrocard on those plus on the JFK AirTrain and on the PATH train, but there's no free transfer between the two. You can't use any sort of a Metrocard on any buses in New Jersey.

seattle
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No day pass for subways?

We recently visited for 3 nights. We each bought a 7 day subway pass at the airport and rode the subway 15 times PLUS did lots of walking. I wore a pedometer and walked over 10 miles a day. It was worth it to us. I had sort of figured it out based on our itinerary. I thought we'd be right at 13, but we rode even more.

When you are a tourist you usually are seeing lots of sights each day, even with trying to group things together subway rides are a must IMO!

Edited: 23 April 2012, 04:11