We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Trade Center Redevelopment

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
World Trade Center Redevelopment

I will be in NYC in mid January and was hoping the new building might be completed by then. Some questions.

1. What is the anticipated completion date?

2. Is there going to be an observation deck?

3. Will it be taller than the EST?

4. When will the transportation hub underneath be completed?

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,603 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: World Trade Center Redevelopment

This is the agency that will know:

www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/progress.html

Deadlines and expected dates of completion are pretty fluid, so just keep checking.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World Trade Center Redevelopment

1. Towers One and Four will be done late next year (if it goes according to schedule). Construction was held up a bit last week because the winds were too strong to work on the higher floors. You just can't predict what will happen.

2. Yes. They have just requested bids for someone to run that, if you're interested in doing it.

…nytimes.com/2011/…

3. It already is! I believe it passed that milestone last week.

4. I believe that's 2016. It has not risen above ground level yet, altho I heard that it will soon be there. I am anxiously awaiting the big "wings" to start taking shape. It will be spectacular when finished, and fun to watch that part of the construction. There is a really cool animation floating around on the internet of what it will be like to walk from the Fulton Street hub (which is much further along than the WTC one) to the World Financial Center, thru the WTC hub.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World Trade Center Redevelopment

On of the things that people forget is that it was more than two towers that went down on that day. There were various other buildings that fell as well. What this means is that rather than one new tower rising, the entire area is being redeveloped.

Do date, Tower 7 has already been built and is occupied. 1 WTC [The Freedom Tower] and another building diagonally across the site are well under construction. The memorials are completed, or fairly much so.

Following this, there are plans on the board for several other buildings including an iconic entry to the Path Trains. Will these plans for other buildings come to fruition? WIll there be money in this poor economy to build them? Will there be tenants for what may be a glut of office space downtown? All of these things will have to be factored in.

4. Re: World Trade Center Redevelopment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:40