We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Times Square Restaurants with Reasonable Prices

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Times Square Restaurants with Reasonable Prices

My two sons ages 7 and 12 and I will be spending time in Times Square June 17th thru June 22nd. We splurged on Hotel with a view of Times Square. So I'm searching for some reasonably priced restaurants. We need at least one good meal during the day and then we can junk it up. I've seen some reviews on Ellen's Stardust Dinner. Which sounds like fun for a visit. There's a McDonalds down the street. I know who eats at national chains in New York.

Anyone know the McDonalds pricing?

Best pizza and hamburger places and street vendors in the area?

Any good buffets?

Convience or grocery stores for Hotel food supply?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
132 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,098 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Times Square Restaurants with Reasonable Prices

You're right..WHO eats at chains in NYC? Esp. in Times Square..overpriced and yucky...

The only places I close to like in Times Square are John's Pizza..Virgils..BlueFin and Becco..You might look at places on W46th, AKA Restaurant Row

You'd do much better to look on 9th ave..www.menupages.com is huge help

I don't think Mcdonalds pricing is different but I've never gone to one in NYC ,in all the 35 + years I've been going..:)

There are convenience stores on practically every corner and snacks can be bought at Duane Reade( a local drugstore chain)

Seriously, get out of Times Square..SO much better to be experienced

Edited: 22 April 2012, 17:13
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Times Square Restaurants with Reasonable Prices

Virgils does good BBQ. Everything else in Times Square should be avoided. Head to 9th Ave for some better choices. As for McDonalds - if you can afford a vacation in NYC, I would assume that you would be able to afford a burger and fries at MickyD's. But Why?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,093 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Times Square Restaurants with Reasonable Prices

Hopefully you are going to leave Times Square and actually see some of NYC while you are here. Plenty of neighborhood restaurants in the neighborhoods.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Times Square Restaurants with Reasonable Prices

If you are going to do Ellen's ,I'd go for breakfast or even dessert. Food is not very good but it's harder to screw up breakfast..lol

Same experience at less cost and a better chance of getting food you can actually eat

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Times Square Restaurants with Reasonable Prices

Hola.

Times Square is a 10-15 minutes subway ride from the Union Square & Village areas where there are plenty of (non-chain) family oriented restaurants with great food and reasonable prices. We have lived in this area for 40+ years and can recommend the following based on our frequent visits:

Sammy’s Noodle Shop on Avenue of the Americas (i.e. 6th Avenue) between 11th & 10th Streets. They have the some of the largest plates of noodles (various types) for the money and spark them up with a variety of meats, fish or vegetables and sauces (if you wish): nymag.com/listings/…main.html

Nearby is Charlie Mom a Chinese restaurant at 464 6h Avenue at the corner of 11th Street. We eat there quite often and the food and service are great: http://charliemom.com/

Another favorite is John's of Bleeker Street at 278 Bleecker Street, between 6th and 7th Avenues. It is a “Village” institution and is located in (what was) a very Italian neighborhood, and in some ways still is. John’s has some of the best pizza in the City as well as very good calzones, pastas, raviolis, and meatballs: http://www.johnsbrickovenpizza.com/

Da Andrea at 35 West 13th Street between 5th Avenue and 6th Avenue is also one of our neighborhood favorites; it is Italian and has entrees under $20 and has a very casual dress code (if at all) and you can make reservations for larger groups….it also has a great wine selection. This place is well known in the Village and has recently moved to its current location because it outgrew its space on Hudson Street where it had been for many years. Also see: http://www.daandreanyc.com/menu.htm

Also close by is the Friend of The Farmer restaurant on Irving Place a few blocks south of Gramercy Park (the largest private park in the City). We think it has one of the best brunch menus in the City! For contact information see: http://www.friendofafarmerny.com

Another great place for brunch that we highly recommend is the Elephant & Castle at 68 Greenwich Avenue (just east of 7th Avenue). It is a "Village” institution at which we have enjoyed eating for more than 30 years. They have a full menu for breakfast and brunch. Come and enjoy the crêpes, too. For more information, see: http://www.elephantandcastle.com

For a GREAT local diner try “Good Stuff” at 109 West 14th Street just west of 6th Avenue (AKA Avenue of the Americas). This place is becoming a neighbor favorite and always has a great mixed crowd of NYC denizens. We always get the daily specials. They have a license to serve beer, wine and cocktails. For more information see: http://www.goodstuffdiner.com

All that said, we think that the BEST bacon cheeseburger in NYC is The Corner Bistro which is located in the Village at the corner of West 4th and Jane Streets. And the $2.50 beers are an extra treat. For more information, see: http://cornerbistrony.com/

Lastly, for dessert, especially cheese cake, you MUST try “Veniero’s Bakery” at 342 East 11th Street (corner of 1st Avenue). For more information, see:

venierospastry.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc…

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Times Square Restaurants with Reasonable Prices

You've gotten a lot of good advice. I'll add:

Ellen's Stardust is the epitomy of bad value tourist trap in Times Square. Not only is the food overpriced and poor, the singing wait staff will press for tips. I agree with Dee, if you have to go, go for breakfast or dessert, not a meal. Cranberry Deli, the Edison Cafe and the Evergreen Cafe are good places for breakfast and inexpensive lunch and take out.

There's a John's pizzeria on west 44th st. right off Times Square. Many feel the one in Greenwich Village mentioned by CassaHoffa is better, but it's not as convenient for you. Basilica and Trattoria Trecolori are good Italians with good prices near TS. There's Shake Shack near TS for good burgers. Go to

menupages.com

and look in the west 40's for other ideas.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Times Square Restaurants with Reasonable Prices

I agree that looking for a good, reasonably priced restaurant in Times Square is a fool's errand. Other than the handful already named, what you tend to have are overpriced branches of the same boring chains you have everywhere. They are designed for trembling tourists who are terrified to eat somewhere they haven't eaten a hundred times at home, and who seem to think that the primary thing to look for in an eating establishment is bland, homogenized familiarity. I hope you don't stoop to that; what you might do instead is to walk two blocks west to Ninth Avenue, which is lined with dozens and dozens of interesting places to eat of every kind, and with every type of cuisine.

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Times Square Restaurants with Reasonable Prices

Does a Chinese buffet buffet interest you? There is one on 7th at about

40th with lots of selections and it is inexpensive. When the food is good these

places are a steal. Food here is good.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 18:51
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Times Square Restaurants with Reasonable Prices

"Many feel the one [John's pizza] in Greenwich Village mentioned by CassaHoffa is better..."

Yes, John's of Bleeker Street in the Village is among the top 3 pizzerias in NYC. The John's near Times Square is a "wanabe".

CH

Edited: 22 April 2012, 18:58
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Times Square Restaurants with Reasonable Prices

Hi. I was wondering if, considering the age of your sons, you were thinking of going to places like the American Museum of Natural History, the Sony Technology Lab, etc. If so, maybe you could look for reasonable places to eat near those locations and have your one major meal while you are out sightseeing, thereby avoiding having to eat near Times Square all the time. I wish I could give you specific advice on restaurants near those places, but I'm just starting to plan our itinerary for our first trip to NYC in August. If you're interested, maybe you can ask for suggestions about food near those locations from the great advisors here on TA? Hope your trip with your sons is a fabulous success.