We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jan 2013

Dublin
Level Contributor
515 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Jan 2013

Hi,

Planning our next trip to New York for Jan (1-6). Our last trips have been in July and April so we're actually looking forward to visiting in winter!

Hotel wise we've stayed in Fitzpatricks, Westin and W hotel. Usually I'd book a refundable rates where possible but this time round have been offered 5 nights in Hotel Lola for $700 - way less than what we usually pay for hotels. Catch is its payable upfront.

Looking for any feedback on this time of year, and hotel rates for the likes of W, Sofitel, Westin etc and what I'd expect to pay at that time of year.

Thanks everyone

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jan 2013

$140usd a night is pretty good price for a 4* / 3* (because different sites rate it differently) that is located in midtown Manhattan, but I am not in love with the reviews there (and it gets mixed reviews on forum trip reports as well).

The best REFUNDABLE rate for a 4*/3* in midtown that I see (in the top 50) is for TRYP at $185usd a night-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d2253206…

Because hotels typically empty out after new years- you do see some deals around this time.

It comes down to how important your hotel is to you (I think it can make or break the whole impression of the trip). You may want to grab something with cancelation and then keep looking for deals-or just book and be done with it.

From your previous hotels-it looks as if you typically stay in the 4*/5* range-the best price I am seeing in that range (in the top 50) is for InterContinental Times Square-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1646128…

What ever you decide to do remember to have fun!

Dublin
Level Contributor
515 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jan 2013

Thanks for that feedback, good to know about the rating and mixed forum reviews as I thought it was a 4*, I'm in agreement with you - hotel Can make or break a trip for me ! If I'm travelling far I want it to be nice. Going to check out the links you sent me and keep searching ...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
848 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jan 2013

The World Center Hotel (4 star) in downtown is currently on Hotwire (hot rate) for $97/night + tax for your dates if you're happy to go for something non-refundable

Dublin
Level Contributor
515 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jan 2013

Thanks for that, was hoping to stay a little more central but will take a glance at the location now to see what's nearby. Haven't used Hotwire to book anything before so thanks for the tip.

Dublin
Level Contributor
515 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jan 2013

Hi - I've come across a rate of $1350 inclusive of tax for the W Times Square for 5 nights Jan 1st to 5th. Does this seem like a good rate for Jan? It's the lowest I've seen for that hotel but is around the same price I paid last time I stayed there - have use their best rate guarantee to get it.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jan 2013

We are booked for Jan 3rd - 8th 2013 and are staying at the Wellington on 57th near Central Park. Total cost of the room for 5nights was £389 (sorry if you work in dollars or euro) and we are delighted with that! We got flights from Dublin for a mere £425ea return also so going at this time of year really is a bargain. I can suffer the cold for that lol.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
848 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jan 2013

Why would you pay 1350 when you can get something pretty good for 550? $800 is a lot of spending money, especially for only five days. Depends how important the hotel is to you.

Goondiwindi...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jan 2013

Hi we are going from the 4 - 10th first time staying the Affinia Manhattan. What will the weather be like?

Cheers Jane

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jan 2013

In a word..... COLD! Lol

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jan 2013

Don't know if you've already booked, Dublinbride, but you can't really compare prices you've paid before to prices in Jan. which are always very low and the Lola doesn't really compare to the Westin or the W which are both 4* hotels.. The Lola was until recently a budget hotel known as 30 30. It's actually now changed names again to King & Grove. It is newly renovated but rooms are very small. Is the $700 including taxes?

Since you've stayed in midtown every time, why not try staying downtown this time? The Courtyard Soho is relatively inexpensive on a number of websites. Or just wait for some sales.