We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some thoughts about planning our trip

Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Some thoughts about planning our trip

I was remembering my first trip to NY when a was 11 today (a few years ago!). My main memory of this was how jet lagged I felt! I slept through the 4 hour bus tour, Radio City and the Broadway show my parents organised! But I really remember the Statue of Liberty and going up the twin towers.

Now I'm planning my own trip with my husband and children who have never been, and I've had a reality check. I've been trying hard to fit everything in on our list, but now I think I'm going to slim down the list. Does it really matter if there are a few more "things we didn't get to do?". Judging from the contributions from the forum - we're probably going to come back.

What is important to me is to get a feel for the city, and see things we can't see any where else. I want to learn about the history, the food, the people, and pay my respects at the 9/11 memorial. I want to ride on the Staten Island ferry like in "Working Girl", walk through Central Park, watch my kids on the piano in FAO Schwarz, peer through the window of Tiffany's.

The planning continues!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some thoughts about planning our trip

You've got the right idea. Get your kids and your husband involved in the planning too!

staten island
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some thoughts about planning our trip

Sounds good to me too. Now you'll have time to soak it all in and notice that there is so much more than running from one place to the other. Maybe have time to notice the amazing architecture all over the city and see gargoyles and amazing details that you wouldn't otherwise notice.

Re: Working Girl. Those were some amazing hair days! I hope you catch the Kennedy Class boat for the full effect.

Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some thoughts about planning our trip

Daughters have put a 4 hour visit to American Girl Place on the list, :-) And my husband wants to go jogging in Central Park and see Intrepid.

They don't understand that I am doing loads of planning and reading so that we can go with the flow but still end up with the best options!

Really looking forward to making some good memories. Planning some early starts and early nights to cope with the jet lag! :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
840 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some thoughts about planning our trip

If you have kids, then I'd say a day at the American Museum of Natural History is a must - especially the two dinosaur halls.

As far as history, definitely take in Ellis Island the same day you're going to the Statue of Liberty (I don't know if you're aware, but the Statue closed for renovations), to learn the story of the immigrants coming through New York circa 1900. I know your time is cramped, but you might also want to investigate the Tenement Museum, where you can choose from several different tours of apartments set up in the styles of different periods in New York history belonging to people of different ethnic backgrounds, and hear their stories.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 00:07
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
536 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some thoughts about planning our trip

You might want to consider a visit to the Bronx Zoo, which is great for kids.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some thoughts about planning our trip

One mistake that people of all ages make when coming to NYC is trying to cram in as much sightseeing as possible into a couple of days or a week. You will not see everything so do not even try. This is especially true when you travel with kids who notoriously do not like to be schlepped about. I recall a trip to Amsterdam with my sister screaming at the top of her lungs - NO MORE REMBRANDTS.

Rather, I would take each day and have one or two highlight things to do or see and build around there. Of course, this involves having the kids do some planning as well.

There are things in Brooklyn that would also be very kid friendly and worthwhile doing. Here are some suggestions across the river.

1. The Brooklyn Flea in Williamsburg. Right along the river, cool stuff to buy, and an interesting neighborhood to walk around in. L train to Bedford and walk to the water.

2. Brighton Beach/Coney Island. These two adjacent neighborhoods have a lot to offer. Brighton Beach is mostly Russian and they will be transported to Kiev. Then, walk along the boardwalk to Coney Island. Visit the Aquarium. Ride the Wonderwheel or the Cyclone if they are brave. Grab a few hot dogs at Nathans.

3. Park Slope. If they like shopping, Fifth Ave in Park Slope is a cool place to visit. There are affordable stores like Beacons Closet, Guvnors and Brooklyn Industries. There are lots of great restaurants. And, you are right down the hill from Prospect Park where they can romp around and burn off some steam. A great place to visit if you want to see how NYers actually live.

4. DUMBO - Right across the Brooklyn Bridge. Visit Jacques Torres Chocolates on Water Street. Grab an ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. Kid friendly art galleries at 111 Front Street. And have a ride on Jane's Carosel in Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some thoughts about planning our trip

Thank-you all. Some great suggestions there.

8. Re: Some thoughts about planning our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:15