We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Buy back' drinks and tipping

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
'Buy back' drinks and tipping

I've heard about this thing called a 'buy back' drink where they give you one free if you tip really well a few times; however, if you do get one, are you supposed to tip for this too? And if so, how much?

Also, when I was in Canada, I got a glass of wine, I paid, including tip. And then afterwards the waitress came over with a glass of water for me. I was very grateful because I always like water with my wine - however I didn't know if I should've tipped again - so I didn't. What should I have done?!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Buy back' drinks and tipping

Hey Amy_F9:-) Lots of variables here..depending on the place..if you're sitting at the bar paying per drink..or running a tab..if you're seated in a restaurant! As far as water, it's pretty standard here..most bartenders/wait folks just bring it..others will ask if you want water or not;-) FWIW, you did well! Enjoy!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Buy back' drinks and tipping

The farther you get out of midtown, in general, the better the buybacks. If you are sitting at the bar you should get your fourth or fifth free, some places I know it's your third. Tip what you tipped normally, maybe put down an extra dollar per drink for the free one you got.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Buy back' drinks and tipping

Great, thank you both for the help :-)

ocala florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Buy back' drinks and tipping

It is also called stealing. My bar help would be looking for a job. Comped drinks should come from the house.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Buy back' drinks and tipping

So you bring up an old post to tell us your opinion, which nobody cares about because it's irrelevant as it has nothing to do with practices in NYC...

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Buy back' drinks and tipping

Management in NYC clearly understands how to empower their staff to serve the customer better than you do.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Buy back' drinks and tipping

Amy -just so you know. No, it wasn't necessary for you tip on the glass of water.

I go out alone a lot. I only drink wine. I tip $1.00 per glass. Occasionally I get what we call an "extra pour". When the bill comes I add a tip 'per glass'. I would be lying if I said I 'always' tipped on the 'extra pour'. Frankly, when I look at the bill there have been times I've forgotten. I'm a regular at a few places and it hasn't changed the fact that I still get that extra pour. But, I really do try to tip on each glass. And, again, no I don't tip on a glass of water ... Not done.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
865 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Buy back' drinks and tipping

I spent some time up in the Woodlawn/Macclean Ave area where a lot of the bars were Irish run. All did a "buy back" on the 4th drink. Up until that most tipped a dollar a drink. I kinda thought it a great practice as it was like you were tipping the barman quite well, but getting each 4th drink free meant that it was costing you nothing. I always thought that the bars involved had given the barstaff the ok to do this.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Buy back' drinks and tipping

Disregard the stupid and ignorant comment of the person from -- where was it? Ocala? which is in ... Florida, isn't it?

Any bartender in a neighborhood bar in NYC who did not honor the local custom of the "buy-back', especially for regular patrons, would be thought a surly and unfriendly clod, and would soon be fired by his employer, who -- unlike the clueless, but correctly named "offcourse" -- would understand that local custom and practice matters. What BobbyC said on April 24 is the way things work around here; pay no attenton to the way things are done in a swamp 1,000 miles to the south...

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Buy back' drinks and tipping

As I was told once by a bartender in NYC, "I don't get perks in this job, but being able to give people who have been good customers a drink on the house is one of them"