We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flip key listing #FK229151

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flip key listing #FK229151

Is anyone familiar with this property ?

Am looking for a 2br apartment stay in LES, Soho area for 2 adults & 2 children (10 & 16) over Christmas / New Year period - greatful for any suggestions

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flip key listing #FK229151

What is your budget? Just book a hotel and save yourself the trouble.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flip key listing #FK229151

Read the second "Top Questions about New York City" that appears on the right-hand side of this forum page ---"Why are vacation apartment rentals a bad idea in NYC?"

If you're looking for a place with a kitchen/kitchenette, there are aparthotels where you can book a place. As Cimb0m says, "What is your budget?" How much per night do you want to pay for lodging?

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flip key listing #FK229151

Up to $350 per night. Would like extra space for a 12 day stay & meeting up with family who will also be visiting.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flip key listing #FK229151

Affinia 50 has a junior suite with 2 beds, sofa bed and full kitchen for $322/night + tax for Dec 24 - Jan 5

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flip key listing #FK229151

It is illegal to rent almost all residential apartments in New York City for less than 30 days (despite the advice from the clueless buffoons who write for Australian newspapers and who repeatedly and brainlessly recommend this illicit nonsense.) Thus, it is almost certain that what you have found is either 1) an illegal rental, so that the contract is unenforceable and you can be tossed into the street at any time, or

2) an outright scam where the apartment does not even exist.

Stop looking for an apartment this instant, and instead find either an apartment-style hotel, or multiple hotel rooms.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flip key listing #FK229151

What are your exact dates? I checked the Eastgate Tower (also part of the Affinia group http://www.affinia.com) using an arrival date of Dec 22 and a checkout date of Jan 3 and I found the two bedroom Junior Suite with 2 beds and a sofabed for $328 and the one bedroom suite with 2 beds and a sofa bed for $382.50. But if I shift the dates a couple of days, I get different results.

I've stayed in both the one bedroom suite and the Junior suite. The one bedroom is a LARGE apartment, complete with full kitchen (including dishwasher) and a dining table that seats 6, spacious living room (with sofabed) and then 2 queen beds in the bedroom. It also had lots of closet space. I also stayed in a Junior suite, but the one I was in only had one bed. It was comfy but the table only sat 2. (It was just me and my daughter on that trip, so it was fin. ) I think an extended stay with 4 people in the junior suite might be a bit much ... only you know how your family vacation dynamics.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flip key listing #FK229151

Many of the rentals on Flipkey are scams and virtually all are illegal.

Apartment rentals of under 30 days have recently been made illegal and the city is cracking down hardcore.

You still have some unscrupulous landlords trying to rent out broken down apartments that nobody would be able to live in for 30 or more days on some of these websites - often using pictures they've pulled from luxury real-estate websites but most are often scam artists offshore. So many people fall for the scams, lose their deposits and arrive in NYC with no place to stay. Very very sad.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flip key listing #FK229151

Or the "luxury" apartment you saw pictures of will have been flooded..or had a fire or pipes burst or ..something and they will stick you in the REAL place they had to rent all along, which is a substandard dump..

And even worse,you have zero recourse because the whole thing is illegal, regardless!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,616 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flip key listing #FK229151

GWB, not all Australian newspapers have clueless buffoons who repeatedly recommend this illicit nonsense.

A few weeks ago there was a warning about NYC apartment rentals and I posted a message on this forum about it. See link below.

Obviously the "clueless buffoon" did some research or was told about the possible problems.

tripadvisor.com.au/…39894575

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flip key listing #FK229151

Aynat, I saw that article, and I was not satisfied by it. You have a questioner asking for an apartment, and instead of telling them plainly "residential apartments are not legally available in New York", the writer simply says "be careful, people have been scammed, so use an Australian travel agent to book that apartment", with no mention that the apartment is still going to be illegal whether one uses a travel agent or not! In addition, the Beacon is recommended not because it is legal (unlike that apartment you are supposed to try to get through the travel agent), but because it makes you "feel like a local." It is still bad -- and clueless -- advice.