We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new york first or second week of november

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
new york first or second week of november

hi, from brisbane, warm, brisbane australia. hate the cold BUT the airfares to NYC are much cheaper 1 nov 2012 than oct 2012. can anyone tell me just how cold NYC will be in november + can you tell me will the prices of hotels be a lot less if it is colder? any negatives of november? appreciate any advice - on when to come to NYC - thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new york first or second week of november

I was there in Nov 2010. I hate the cold too and I feel the cold more than most people.

While it was cold, if you dress for it properly with a coat, scarf and gloves you will be fine. If that time of year is a more affordable time of year for you, don't discount it due to the weather.

November is still a popular time to visit so you aren't going to get incredibly cheap hotels. To stay in Mahattan, I'd still be budgeting $250ish for a decent place and then if you can get cheaper than that, well that's great! The cheapest time of the year is generally Jan - March, but this will be (usually) much colder than November.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 09:59
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new york first or second week of november

The weather the first week of November can vary from year to year, but often it's still quite comfortable then - still gettting into the 60s, can even still reach the 70s. Or it could be 40s/50s. But it rarely gets cold enough to snow in early November; it won't be bitterly cold. And NYC gets the best of its Autumn colors in November, so the city will be pretty, especially the parks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: new york first or second week of november

Hotel prices start rising around mid-September and do not fall significantly until the new year. Furthermore, there will be a spike when the NYC Marathon is run on the first Sunday in November.

Posters prefer not to recommend a hotel until you advise what your actual dates and budget in USD is per night.

As for the weather, as long as you layer your clothes, I don't think you will have problems. Layering is important as I find indoor spaces tend to be overheated.

I have visited NY late in November to see the Thanksgiving Day Parade and see the Christmas decorations. Even though it's later than you wrote, I would seriously consider this time. Yes, it will be even colder but you are never going to get anything like the parade or the decorations in Australia.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 11:25
Boston
Level Contributor
24,451 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new york first or second week of november

Weather can run the gamut, last year much of the East Coast experienced exceptionally warmer weather across the board.

Nov Temps last year in NY city ranged from lows of 37F to highs of 59F.

The First week of Nov averaged highs of 59F to lows of 44F

We went in Dec of last year, the weather was a bit cool but not cold, if your dressed properly you should be fine.

Of course no one knows what the temps will be this Nov.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,995 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new york first or second week of november

As mez said, the first week of Nov. is usually a lot more expensive because of the Marathon filling hotel rooms. You can see the price differences by looking at any hotel search engine like kayak.com

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new york first or second week of november

We have visited the city 5 times in the month of november and always found the weather to be pretty decent,the only time we had rain was during our first visit in 06

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new york first or second week of november

waywood - it's very difficult to predict the weather. NYC has highly variable weather. In November, it tends to be a little on the chilly side, but the weather can range from warm to below freezing. Last year, we had a freak snowstorm at the end of October, followed by one of the warmest winters ever.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new york first or second week of november

thanks for all the advice. looks loke i need to steer clear of the marathon so perhaps aim to be there second week nov. could change to october but airfare is AUD 500 more and for 2 people could put this towards accom. any advantage to changing date to say third week oct?

9. Re: new york first or second week of november

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:18