We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine stores recommendations

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Wine stores recommendations

Hello

WE Will be staying today and tomorrow in thé financial district and looking for wine store recommandations. Nothing upscale but decent selection

I have found on the forum some suggestions such as Werehouse Wine&Spirits ( Broadway & 8th), Sherry Lehman ( lots of votes) and Astor Place

Any recommendation between thèse 3 (or others) vs m'y location and price? Usually I go for $20-$30 à bottle

Thanks

Italian and Bistro are usually appreciated but we'll take anything recommended as long Ad it's not pretentious. Budget would mid range

Thanks!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine stores recommendations

Chambers Street Wines

http://www.chambersstwines.com/

Tribeca Wine Merchants

yelp.com/biz/tribeca-wine-merchants-ltd-new-…

City Hall Wines and Spirits (mostly hip bottles, snorts...you know - small bottles of hooch for drunks. But they do have good prices.)

yelp.com/biz/city-hall-wines-and-spirits-new…

Fi Di Wines - I haven't been yet

http://www.fidiwine.com/

There are a few more near your hotel, but I've never been to them. e.g.

yelp.com/biz/new-york-wine-exchange-new-york

p.s. work on that editing! ;o)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,351 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine stores recommendations

I like Downtown Cellars.

http://www.downtowncellars.com/

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine stores recommendations

For Wines I would recommend Astor for sure, Warehouse is not as good for wine, great for liquor. These stores are not Quite close to the Financial Distrcit. But you will find good selection and good pricces. In the financial district itself there are a couple of good stores - Frankly wines for their interesting selections and Rosetta Wines for their selection and proximity to Financial District. You can find more info at

qwikerliquor.com/store-area/manhattan/tribec…

This site has address, hours and links to store pages so you can actually goto the store site and browse the selection. Hope this helps.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine stores recommendations

near you there's royal wine merchants at 13 s william st, off hanover square. it's a tiny spot but in a historic type area. i've never figured out if the royal wine on waterside plaza off the FDR is related to this shop, but the waterside plaza one has a backroom full of nice burgundies and such. it's not set up for public access and the boxes/bottles are all dusty, but i think they bring you back there if you're looking for something special. if you google royal wine merchant, you will find that they were tangled up in some lawsuits regarding the sale of fake really fancy wine.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine stores recommendations

Spartac:

Vous employez un vérificateur d'orthographe français, non ? ;o)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine stores recommendations

Funny, I walk by Downtown Cellars often and don't even notice it. I will make a point to check it out in the future.

Frankly Wines is so small, it makes me nervous. I always feel like I'm going to knock something over.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine stores recommendations

Astor Wines is incredible. You'll find plenty of great $40.00 bottles that they negotiated a volume discount on and can sell for $30.

They're really phenomenal and their staff are incredibly knowledgeable.

Warehouse is great for a bottle of vodka or something but when it comes to wines, do not buy wine at Warehouse.

Astor is the best.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine stores recommendations

Thanks guys, I will definitly check Astor today

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,273 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine stores recommendations

There's another great downtown wine store that I wish was in my neighborhood - I find myself wanting to buy things there when I'm already laden from the New Amsterdam market across the street.

Pasanella on Fulton Street.

I love Astor - and the Trader Joe wine store isnt bad. Warehouse has great prices for Louis Roederer Brut.

suitcaseready.com

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine stores recommendations

For descent and VERY inexpensive table wines we can highly recommend the Trader Joe Wine Shop at 138 East 14th Street, just west of 3rd Avenue.

CH