We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child Friendly Restaurants

Where ever I lay my...
Level Contributor
9 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Child Friendly Restaurants

Hi all I have 3 children aged 12,10,7 and we'll be in New York in August 2012 does anyone have any Good suggestions for places to eat Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner where we'll feel comfortable. We will all eat pretty much anything and don't just want burgers.

Thanks

DB3

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Child Friendly Restaurants

Kids in New York City tend to eat out in restaurants more often than in many places, but because of that, NYC kids tend to have "restaurant manners" sooner than their suburban counterparts. If your kids are well behaved, e.g., quiet, don't run around, don't bang their plates with silverware, etc., they'll be welcomed almost anywhere but the fanciest of places. If you're looking for something where they can be a little louder than ideal, I generally recommend diners. There are diners all over the city, and they tend to be a little more up a kid's alley, with fast service and kid-friendly food.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
822 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Child Friendly Restaurants

When people ask for child friendly restaurants I usually think that means restaurants with a children's menu. You say your kids will eat anything, so is there something else you mean by child friendly?

I have children in that age range and we seldom plan any meals but dinner. For breakfast and lunch we just choose a place near where we happen to be. I read the menu posted in the window to see if it's something we want, while my son looks through the window - if he sees hard hats or other indications that it's a place working people eat lunch, then that's where he wants to go. He's sometimes asked police on the corner where to get a bite, too.

On warm days, we generally get takeout or food from a truck (but never hot dogs) and eat in a park.

If you want specific names of places it might help if you said where you'll be at meal times.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child Friendly Restaurants

I am with Ruthie, I rarely plan ahead where we will eat as it ties us down to one area, when wandering is more my style. I usually just look at the menus in the window and we always find something wherever we find ourselves.

My kids were always very well behaved in resaurants, even as tiny children, so I would prefer not to eat at "child friendly" places. WHen I see those words I think of Chuckie Cheese and kids running around and yelling. Not my idea of fun for dining.

Mine did enjoy Virgils BBQ and Juniors in Grand Central, besides that falafal and pizza were great "on the go" food.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Child Friendly Restaurants

Just a quick correction on the location of Junior's...it is W. 45th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Child Friendly Restaurants

No, bogwoppit is correct, there is also a Junior's location in the Dining Concourse at Grand Central.

Where ever I lay my...
Level Contributor
9 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Child Friendly Restaurants

Thanks for all your replies. I think by child friendly we mean somewhere that deosn't mind you coming in with kids!! Mine are all very well behaved and used to eating out, but we still find here in the UK that some nicer restaurants can be a little old fashioned about you coming in with kids!

Bogwoppit, we don't really like eating in those type of places aimed solely at kids either can be a bit noisy and messy.

We are staying at the Hilton on the Avenue of the America's.

Ruthie1971 is there any particular reason you don't get hot dogs? Us Brits, I think all want to try a real American hot dog in New York!

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Child Friendly Restaurants

There's nothing wrong with a hot dog but the ones sold from the carts are "dirty water dogs" and pretty, well, eww. Try Gray's Papaya for a good hot dog.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Child Friendly Restaurants

We tend to avoid US hot dogs because the rules for what you're allowed to put in them down there are much more relaxed.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Child Friendly Restaurants

I agree with Gray's Papaya for hot dogs over the street cart dogs. They are great!! One place that my family enjoyed was Vynl. There are multiple locations in NYC, but we went to the one on 9th Ave at 51st St. Any pizza place will be kid friendly - John's on Bleecker is my personal favorite.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Child Friendly Restaurants

Have a look at www.menupages.com.