We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to leave for a 10:30 flight on Saturday at NWK?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
When to leave for a 10:30 flight on Saturday at NWK?

Hello,

We have a flight tomorrow at 10:30 from NWK to Cancun. We are located in the financial district. I wa thinking of leaving around 8:15. Is it too tight?

Thanks

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to leave for a 10:30 flight on Saturday at NWK?

I assume you're flying from Newark Liberty? The code is EWR.

What does your airline say? They normally advise arriving around two hours early for international flights.

How are you planning to get to the airport? If you want to use public transportation I think your best bet, if you're close to the World Trade Center, is to take the PATH train to Newark Penn Station and then get a taxi for the short ride to the airport. If you're in the eastern part of the Financial District you would be better off taking the 2,3 to Penn Station and then the New Jersey Transit/AirTrain combination to your terminal.

If you don't want to do this a car service should be less expensive than a taxi. I

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to leave for a 10:30 flight on Saturday at NWK?

Are you having a sedan take you to Newark or are you planning to take the PATH train to Newark Penn and then a taxi from there?

A sedan from the hotel will take less than 45 minutes tomorrow morning. The PATH to Newark Penn and a taxi will save considerable cost but will take closer to an hour.

Assuming you are flying Continental and you already have your boarding passes and you do not need to queue for check-in or anything (simple baggage drop-off will suffice for you) - then you don't really need to be there more than 90 minutes in advance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to leave for a 10:30 flight on Saturday at NWK?

Most international flights request you get to the airport 3 hrs in advance. First figure out what time your airline expects you there and whether you can preprint boarding passes online. Then allow 60-90 mins to travel depending on how you go.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to leave for a 10:30 flight on Saturday at NWK?

It varies tremendously.

I travel internationally frequently and if I've got my boarding pass in-hand and all I need to do is show my passport at the gate, the last thing I want to do is arrive three hours in advance and marvel at how awful the Delta terminal at JFK really is.

On the other hand, if I'm flying some dinky non-U.S. airline where I have to stand in a lengthy queue to check-in, I'll arrive earlier.

It depends on a number of factors but I don't think there is a blanket rule that applies to everybody and all situations.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to leave for a 10:30 flight on Saturday at NWK?

8:15 isnt too tight, but I wouldnt do that. I would probably have a 7:30 pick up.

I would only get to a NYC airport 3 hours before an international flight the day after a major snowstorm cancelled flights - or on a Friday afternoon. Usually, Im there 2 hours before, twiddling my thumbs.... If you have your boarding pass, it's just a matter of getting through security, and Saturdays tend to be pretty light travel days in airports.

If you take a car/cab from your location, you could be at Newark in 15-20 minutes; I would leave 45 minutes-hour to be safe. It takes 20 minutes from Chelsea, and I usually leave an hour to play it safe. In 90 minutes, you could drive to Philadelphia!

Have a great time in Mexico!

suitcaseready.com

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to leave for a 10:30 flight on Saturday at NWK?

Hello

I was planning to ask thé hotel to call à taxi. Is there à less expensive car service that goes directly without stopping at other hotels?

Thanks

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to leave for a 10:30 flight on Saturday at NWK?

Before anyone can tell you what time to leave, the question YOU have to answer is "what time do you want to be at the airport?" After you have answered that, note that it is impossible to call a taxi in New York City; taxis may only be hailed on the street. if you want to schedule a car to pick you up at a set time, you need to schedule a car from a car service (uch as Dial 7 or AllState), and not a taxi. Also note that although you don't specify where in the "financial district" you are, you can take the PATH train from the World Trade Center to Newark, and an NJ Transit train to Newark Airport train station, where you can catch the AirTrain to your terminal. This at least takes the possibility of getting stuck in traffic out of the equation.

Edited: 05 May 2012, 03:34
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to leave for a 10:30 flight on Saturday at NWK?

Our flight is at 10:30 and we are already checked in. I was thinking of being there around 8:45-9 AM.

Just spoke to the hotel and he seems comfortable getting us a taxi in 5 min of we go down around 8, and that it should take us not more than 30-45 min at the max to get to airport

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to leave for a 10:30 flight on Saturday at NWK?

Do you realize that although NYC taxis are required to take you to Newark Airport, the charge will be double the meter reading (because the driver has to return empty to NYC) plus tolls?

Get a quote from a reliable car service.

Park Forest, IL
Level Contributor
319 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to leave for a 10:30 flight on Saturday at NWK?

GWB I'm glad you mentioned that you can't call for a cab I wasn't aware of that. Thanks