We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romance in NYC....

Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Romance in NYC....

I'd like suggestions on romantic things to do in NYC!

We will be in NYC for our honeymoon in June. We are so excited!

One romantic restaurant that I am debating on is The River Cafe. I know it is expensive - but how expensive is expensive? :)

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romance in NYC....

Go to www.rivercafe.com to view the menu.

Having drinks in Central Park by the boathouse is always lovely.

Dinner al fresco overlooking the Hudson River and the Statue of Liberty at Gigino in Wagner Park (opposite the Ritz Carlton Battery Park) is definitely very nice.

A rooftop cocktail at an elegant and refined place is always nice. I like Jimmy at The James (The James Hotel on Grand St.) I especially like the rooftop at the INK 48 in Midtown West (overlooking the Hudson and The Intrepid). I'm looking forward to checking out the rooftop at the Yotel.

There are a lot of good places.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romance in NYC....

I know i keep saying this but strolling Greenwich Village is romantic, to me

Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romance in NYC....

We are definitely going to stroll through Greenwich Village. Thinking about dinner at The Little Owl but if you have any better suggestions, please feel free!

What does the fixed price on the River Cafe's menu mean? What does the $100 buy you?

Might be a silly question, but it confuses me! ;)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,804 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Romance in NYC....

Fixed price means that you pay that amount per person, and you get three courses; one from the Appetizer list, one from the Entrees, and one from Dessert. Any menu item that says "supplement" below it, that means you pay that much extra to order that item. Wine and drinks are extra. Tax and tip are extra.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,121 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Romance in NYC....

Choice of appetizer and main course and dessert for $100

rivercafe.com/wp-content/…RC_Menu_Dinner.pdf

rivercafe.com/wp-content/…RC_Menu_Dessert.pdf

Drinks will be extra as will tax and tip.

Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romance in NYC....

Thank you! I thought it would be something like that. Everything looks so delicious. :)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romance in NYC....

We went to NYC for our honeymoon 10 years ago. We have been many many times to the city (and go back in August with our little ones), but that time was surely the most special one.

Rowing in Central Park lake and kissing my wife on board of our little boat was one of the most amazing moments I've spent in my life along with seeing my kids' birth.

We went to the River Cafe one night. It is actually quite nice - the views are gorgeous and the food was surprisingly good - excellent I'd say. I wasn't expecting much since I believed, in my blissful ignorance, that it was going to be a tourist trap. Well all tables around us were occupied by tourists but the food was quite good.

A place that we like a lot but doesn't get mentioned here on the forums too often is the Pool Room of the Four Seasons restaurant. I think it has a wonderful setting and the food and ambience are quite nice.

And while we are at expensive restaurants, and if you are a foodie I'd recommend you Le Bernardin. Sure it doesn't have the views, but it is one of the best restaurants I know (not only in NYC). It is only topped in my list by El Bulli in Girona, Spain, but this is now closed, so...

Have a very nice honeymoon, and make a lot of pictures. You'll love to watch them in a few years.

Edited: 07 May 2012, 09:13
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romance in NYC....

What is romance? When you are with someone you love, everything can be romantic. Of course there are those things that every NYer knows about - a picnic in Central Park, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge at Sunset or time spent at the Botanic Garden [in Brooklyn or in the Bronx]

But, I think there is also something romantic about riding the Cyclone together and screaming as one down that first big hill. Biking around Prospect Park or along the Hudson River Bike Path. Or just strolling arm and arm in a nice neighborhood. Or in visiting a site that is sort of away from the major tourist fray - such as Wave Hill in the Bronx or The Cloisters in Northern Manhattan.

Romantic is indeed a great meal at the River Cafe. Romantic is also street food from a cart, shared on a bench watching the world go by.

Happy Honeymoon.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romance in NYC....

BrooklynMel,

So is the Cyclone still open? Last time my wife and I were in Coney Island someone told us that it was being shut down shortly... I'm glad to see it is still working, since I'd like to bring our son for a ride next August.

Edited: 07 May 2012, 13:00
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romance in NYC....

Husband and I honeymooned in New York last year - we went to River Cafe and I can wholeheartedly recommend it. It was gorgeous - the views, the food and the staff were lovely. Definitely a treat (think we spent about $300 in all with wine and drinks), but we both thought worth every penny.

Also, highly recommend walking the High Line.

Enjoy!