We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borough Throwdown - Queens v The Bronx.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Borough Throwdown - Queens v The Bronx.

I am somewhat out of my comfort zone here, so I would love all the input from Queens and Bronx folks. But, let the throw down begin.

1. PARKS: Both boroughs have some great parks. In Queens, there is Flushing Meadows Park with the Unisphere, beautiful Forest Park. Thee is Astoria Park with its olympic sized pool and of course Gateway National Seashore, where I go swimming.

In Contrast, the Bronx has some of the largest parks in the City. Van Courtlandt Park and Pelham Bay Park. The Bronx also has the Botanic Gardens as well as the Bronx Zoo which I will toss into the mix. I loved tiny Cement Plant park as well.

While there is quantity and quality in both boroughs, I think the winner here, in a squeaker , is the Bronx. The Bronx has a larger portion of parkland than any of the boroughs. Maybe thats different now that the dump in Staten island is becoming a park.

2. FOOD: Once again, both boroughs have an abundance of great food. Starting with the Bronx this time, we have the Italian restaurants and bakeries of Arthur Ave. The Bronx also has City Island where seafood is king.

But, seriously, Queens has become a mecca for food. This is largely due to its large and varied immigrant population. A more varied Asian food locale in Flushing Main Street than Manhattan's Chinatown. Indian food in Jackson Heights also comes to mind. Empanada and lemon ices in Corona anyone. Bakalva and galectabourekas in Astoria?

This one goes to Queens. Big.

3. SIGHTS and CULTURE: Up in the Bronx, there are indeed reasons for visitors to come. Wave Hill is one of the nicest places in NYC - a beautiful mansion along the Hudson. There is the Zoo and the Botanic Garden. There is the art deco district along the Grand Concourse which also houses the Bronx Museum of Art. There is the Edgar Allen Poe House.

Queens has lots to offer as well. They have the Noguchi Museum and Socrates Sculpture park almost across the street from each other. They have the Panorama at the Queens Museum. They have PS 1 where the art of graffiti is on king. Queens also has lots of neat old houses throughout the boro.

I am gonna give this one a draw.

4. TRANSPORTATION: Lets face it - we are talking about ease of getting into Manhattan here. There are subways from either. You can also get the railroad [LIRR or Metro North] from either as well. But, I am going to give the edge to Queens for its #7 train - The International Express. Any train that idiot former baseball player John Rocker ranted about - by name - gets my vote.

As for Biking - I have biked out to both many times. In Queens I love to bike around the Unisphere so I can say that I biked around the world. Or biking to Astoria for pastries. A also love biking to Fort Tilden and Riis Park. In the Bronx, I love to bike to Wave Hill and do hill climbing in Riverdale. Took a trek to City Island several weeks ago. I can't decide - other than to say that biking along Queens Boulevard makes you question whether your life insurance is paid up. This is a draw.

5. SPORTS: Yankees versus Mets is the name of the game. Yankee Stadium v. City field. Here is now contest for the Bronx. But that is not the end of the story. Both have college teams. St. Johns plays out of Queens and has a large following - especially for hoops. Fordham and Manhattan College are in the Bronx and also draw their crowds. And where is the US Open played - Flushing Meadows Park in Queens. As for participatory sports. Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx is a runners mecca. Bike Races head to the Velodrome in Kissena Park.

But - I am a Yankees fan so the Bronx gets my vote.

WHERE WOULD I LIVE - In the Bronx, Fieldstone is one of the most beautiful areas in the City. So is Forest Hills Gardens in Queens. These would be my choice places to live in either boro. The winner. BROOKLYN !

Total Scores: Queens gets points for its Food and Transportation. The Bronx scores for its Parks and Sports. I called it a draw for Culture and Sports. Two each. One tie.

Readers - help to break this deadlock.

Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Borough Throwdown - Queens v The Bronx.

"They have PS 1 where the art of graffiti is on king.''

So, I love me some good graffiti. I didn't completely understand this sentance though, sorry. Is king a street? I googled "ps 1 graffiti" and came up with amazing images and the description of davis&jackson streets. are we even kind of talking about the same thing?

it looked like even without entering ps1 the trip over there would be worth it just for the graffiti (hotel is less than a mile away).

i love your "throwdowns" by the way. They are super helpful for those of us that would like to see more than Times Square

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Borough Throwdown - Queens v The Bronx.

Mel great thread to read with a broken wrist. I missed doing the 5k at the NY botanical gardens this year but next year will come. I intend to spend more time leading visitors out of Manhattan to all 4 boroughs now that I am no longer riding around in circles.

Louis Armstrong house Queens! Woodlawn cemetery and Bronx museum Bronx.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Borough Throwdown - Queens v The Bronx.

Both are different and diverse from each other that why I visit. If they were the same why bother visiting. For me it not who is better but what I am in the mood for and the best place to go at that time.

"But, I am going to give the edge to Queens for its #7 train"

Really? Over crowded subway line. E/F/M/N/Q are far better subway lines. Also larger subway trains than the narrow #7.

"Wave Hill is one of the nicest places in NYC - a beautiful mansion along the Hudson."

It not the nicest places in NYC it is ok. But you are bias.

"In Queens I love to bike around the Unisphere so I can say that I biked around the world."

Strange logic. I should buy a globe of the world put it down of the floor and walk around it "Vacation is over I just seen the world"

Who has the best parade that one goes to Queens for it year Holi Parade. A parade for New Yorkers. But! I do not know of any parades in the Bronx, so I am bias and why would any tourist want to go?

"Sport"

That goes to Queen with it Dragon Boat Racing. But! I do not know of any sports event that are for the New Yorkers in the Bronx, so I am bias and again why would any tourist want to go?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Borough Throwdown - Queens v The Bronx.

Thompsonamanda, BMel was actually incorrect about the graffiti.

He was talking about Five Pointz, a former industrial warehouse and factory that is covered compltely in graffiti:

http://5ptz.com/graff/

…about.com/od/thingtodo/ss/lic_art_2.htm

Meanwhile, P.S. 1 is a former public school (hence the "p" and "s") which is now a museum featuring contemporary and conceptual art. It used to be independent, but it is now owned by the MOMA.

http://momaps1.org/

Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Borough Throwdown - Queens v The Bronx.

It looks incredible! I checked out the website. And didn't see hours/prices. Am I right in assuming its an open outdoor free space... it can be seen at anytime and for free? Thanks

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Borough Throwdown - Queens v The Bronx.

Thompsonamanda - you can walk right up to it, if you want! It's a building just like any other. You can also see it from the #7 and the N trains, which are elevated at that point. I don't know anything else about it.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Borough Throwdown - Queens v The Bronx.

"It looks incredible! I checked out the website."

Yes it is and the website does not do the place any justice. Make sure you have a camera and the best time is during the day for the light, I prefer the weekend as the streets surrounding 5Pointz are mostly quite and hardly any traffic.

They are open certain hours inside the buidling but never had the time. But on the other hand their best stuff graffit is on the outside. You can spend about three hours there.

Some photographs from my camera club when they visited last year.

www.meetup.com/NYPhoto/photos/all_photos/…

I was there three weeks ago? Someone painted a large mural tribute to the late Whitney Houston.

Bill

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,981 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Borough Throwdown - Queens v The Bronx.

Don't forget you can go further South on Main Street in Queens and come to the Orthodox neighborhood of Kew Gardens Hills--any one interested in Israeli food--we have it!

Queens also has the very large and modern Queens Mall. I forget how many stores BUT in the middle of the winter, I"d rather walk indoors than on Manhattan Streets.

The Hall of Science is located in Queens.More for kids than adults, adults have fun there too. Individuals with children will love this place and its' hands on exhibits geared for children of all ages. There are also movie presentations.

Culture in Queens--Queens Theater in the Park shouldn't be left out!

Sports- Here is a blurb about the Queens pool and ice-rink that Mel seems to have forgotten.

"This $66.3-million complex features an Olympic-sized pool and NHL-regulation ice rink. It is the first of its kind in the city and includes ADA-accessible features.

Flushing Meadows Corona Park Pool & Rink is the largest recreation complex ever built in a city park at 110,000 square-feet.

The Olympic-size indoor public pool, the first to open in New York City in four decades, has an adjustable floor and diving tank for public swim and competitive meets.

The NHL-standard indoor ice hockey rink serves as a year-round facility for competitive leagues and individual skaters. The modernist, architecturally distinguished building?s cable-supported roof system allows for potential future expansion."

Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Borough Throwdown - Queens v The Bronx.

billnyc, great pictures. looks like my kind of place! I need to stop reading this forum, getting too many good ideas! my google search of 5 pointz led me to the graffiti wall of fame. have you been there?

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,021 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Borough Throwdown - Queens v The Bronx.

I got nothing to say except that I'm patiently waiting for the Manhattan vs Staten Island throwdown thread. Got a lot to say on that one