We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Singapore, do I need a VISA?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
From Singapore, do I need a VISA?

Hi, do i need a visa to go to NYC for a leisure trip? I've searched around, and found out that Singapore is under the list of countries in the Visa Waiver Programme..plus there is the ESTA application. I'm confused. Can any kind soul let me know what exactly should i apply for before going?

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Singapore, do I need a VISA?

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

This site will guide you. Apply on that site for your ESTA.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Singapore, do I need a VISA?

Thanks pontevecchio59! So once I've applied under the VISA waiver programme, are there any other procedures/documents that i should complete or bring when i travel to NY?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Singapore, do I need a VISA?

First, NY and NYC are part of the United States. Therefore, to the best of my knowledge, there is no special procedure for entering NY or NYC, and the procedures here should be the same as for any other foreigner travelling to the USA. (I'm actually aware of one exception to this, but it only applies to certain types of UN diplomats.)

Second, I would caution you to be wary of legal advice (including legal immigration/visa advice) given anonymously on the internet. People posting in internet forums such as this one can give you general information from their own limited experience and knowledge, but they may not be aware of your specific circumstances and/or that immigration laws and regulations can change at any moment. This is the type of information that you should get directly from the most reliable source, namely your local embassy/consulate and the website posted above. (And, in more complex situations, an attorney specializing in this type of law.)

Edited: 09 May 2012, 04:16
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Singapore, do I need a VISA?

thanks for your advice NooYawkuh. i was checking the official U.S customs website, but got slightly worn out after reading and clicking one link to the next so thought of getting an overview here, and from singaporeans as well. but i agree this shouldn't be the ultimate guide. thanks again!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: From Singapore, do I need a VISA?

Hi,

I am holding the old Spore passport that is valid for 10 years. I had it in 2005. So far I don't need a visa to enter US. So if your passport is the newer ones, I don't think you will have any issues.

Just remember to apply for ESTA. You only need to do that.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Singapore, do I need a VISA?

Try the visa waiver wizard and find out for yourself.

london.usembassy.gov/root/visa-wizard/pages/

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Singapore, do I need a VISA?

hi lowfam, thanks for letting me know! my passport is the old one as well, so we should be in the same boat? haha. and pbuyse2, thank you for the visa wizard app. really useful

8. Re: From Singapore, do I need a VISA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:17