We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Harlem safer these days?

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
517 posts
328 reviews
Save Topic
Is Harlem safer these days?

I can remember being told in years past not to walk around in Harlem alone, but in navigating the Starwood website, I noticed that they have a hotel there now, Aloft Harlem, on 8th Ave. between 123rd and 124th Streets. Have things improved over the years that a person of obviously European ancestry can walk the streets around the hotel there alone (especially to the subway stop at 125th St.)? Sorry to ask such a naive question, but the difference is price between Aloft Harlem ($178/night) and 4Points by Sheraton Midtown ($255/night) is rather steep...

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Harlem safer these days?

The area around the Aloft Hotel in Harlem is fine.

There is also a new Starwood property in Long Island City (Queens) - closer to things like Bloomingdales and FAO Schwartz and Grand Central.

It depends how much you're keen to save money and whether you want to be closer to the Upper West Side or to say Grand Central. People don't realize that the Long Island City hotels are just across a small little body of water called the East River and it is a three to four minute ride on the subway between Long Island City's Queensboro Plaza subway station and Bloomingdales.

You don't have to worry about safety if you choose the Aloft Hotel in Harlem but there are still nearby areas where I might personally prefer to avoid walking around alone at night. Part of my apprehension comes from the fact that some of those areas were particularly notorious when I was growing up and I haven't walked down every street in the past year trying to determine how things have changed. Harlem today is a much more diverse neighborhood (in terms of culture and in terms of socio-economics)

The term "Harlem" also covers a rather large geography.

new york
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Harlem safer these days?

I have stayed at the four points in LIC and if you are looking for a starwood property that is more reasonably priced, I would recommend it.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Harlem safer these days?

I would also recommend LIC and you will get some fabulous city views from Gantry State Park!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Harlem safer these days?

If it helps you at all most people of "obviously European ancestry" could not afford to purchase a home in Harlem these days.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Harlem safer these days?

^^Still doesn't make it a safe area. Most people can't afford to buy a home in Brownsville, Brooklyn and that's pretty much the most dangerous area of the city.

It depends on the area of Harlem, but yes, it's gotten better through the years.

Level Contributor
423 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Harlem safer these days?

Well, I'll ask here too about safety. Walking from the Apollo to 116th and lenox ok around 10pm?

Coming from Milwaukee its probably more dangerous just stepping out my front door but its good to take a vacation from the violence so why not ask lol

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Harlem safer these days?

When did someone tell you walking around Harlem was not recco'd?

There are no marauding gangs roaming the streets preying on unsuspecting tourists in broad daylight.

Have you not read the responses in the FAQ's on how safe NYC really is?

Well, please do.

Poppa

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Harlem safer these days?

The city is safe in the areas you are likely to encounter as a tourist. There are areas that are not safe, however, and yes, some of them are in Harlem.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Harlem safer these days?

During the day it's fine, but at night I wouldn't recommend it. Most likely nothing will happen to you, but it's not only the surrounding neighborhood that's a issue - also the subway. The contingent changes going to 125th St and subway crime is higher in that area. Again, during the day, you can have an iPad out and nothing will happen. But coming back, say after midnight - I wouldn't want to do it as a tourist.

The rate is not THAT cheap, you can find something similar as someone suggested in LIC or downtown Brooklyn than will suit your needs better. And you will have more safety of mind.

If you give us dates we can look up something for you.

10. Re: Is Harlem safer these days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 04:18