We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baseball in New York

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Baseball in New York

We are in NYC June 24 to June 30 and my son wants to see a baseball game.

Where do we start? I know nothing about Baseball, but assume the NY Yankees are the team to go see?

Do we book tickets ahead? Do they play (or any big names play) during that time? Are tickets expensive?

Sorry to sound like a doof!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,017 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baseball in New York

There are two teams: the Yankees and the Mets.

Mets fans won't like me saying it (but will grudgingly accept it I expect) but for a neutral like your son the Yankees are going to be the bigger draw with their wonderful stadium and famous players.

However, without looking at the schedules it may be that the Yankees are on the road. If this is the case then going to see the Mets will still be a great experience. They have a nice new stadium, too.

So, to find the schedules you should go to www.mlb.com.

I just checked and the Yankees are at home while you are there. At home to the Cleveland Indians and Chicago White Sox.

The Mets are on the road so that clears that up!

Ticket prices vary. From the very cheap to the very expensive. Others will talk with more authority on your best ways to get tickets but I would start by going through www.mlb.com (who I think might use Ticketmaster). If there's tickets available, at a price you're happy with, get them. And start getting excited about going.

If there's no tickets available that's where others advice will come into play. They'll mention Stub Hub and other services. None of which I've used before so won't comment on them.

Enjoy!

North West England
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baseball in New York

I used Stubhub for my tickets last week in section 215. I paid $98 each for the tickets and had a great view. The same area on the official sites were around $130 each.

I had no problems with getting the tickets, just downloaded from Stubhub and printed them out before I left the UK.

Just a bit of advice, don't take a Video camera with you as you will not be allowed to take it into the stadium. There is a shop called Stan's Place across from the stadium where you pay to leave bags or anything else.

Enjoy!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baseball in New York

We used the official website to book tickets from Australia and picked them up from the "will call window " at the stadium on the night , very easy and straight forward.

…mlb.com/ticketing/singlegame.jsp…

26th june is a tuesday night special with 25% off tickets and a promotion night ( first 18,000 people get a t-shirt ) there are also promotion nights on other nights you are there .On the 25th and 27th of june .

Stubhub is an onseller of tickets people don't want so they maybe more expencive on this site . ( season pass holders etc )

We also took our camera's into the stadium without a problem and took photo's inside .

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baseball in New York

There are NOT two teams that play in NYC - there are four. The two major league teams are the Yankees and the Mets. The Yankees play in the Bronx and are more popular - and their tickets often sell out. The Mets are the poor cousin and play in Queens.

But, there are two minor league teams that are also a fun experience. The Staten Island Yankees and the Brooklyn Cyclones. The 'Clones are especially fun as you can combine a game with going to Coney Island where they play. And minor league ball is a fraction of the cost of a major league game.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,017 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baseball in New York

You seem upset, Mel, that I only mentioned the Major League, world famous, teams. I don't know why.

You say there are four teams but if you gave me ten minutes I'm sure I could find you thirty others. Club teams, the NYPD, FDNY and DSNY teams and loads of corporate teams.

But I don't think the OP's son will want to see them any more than than he will want to see the Staten Island Yankees and Brooklyn Cyclones when he has the chance of visiting Yankee Stadium and seeing Jeter and A-Rod.

None of that is to slate going to a minor league basebal game, which is a great experience, but just to explain why I only listed the two teams.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baseball in New York

I say go Mets. You will have an eaiser/cheaper time getting tickets. Their new ballpark Citi Field is fantastic. Yes it's kinda of a pain the subway ride out but given the Yankees no longer play in the house Ruth built, I would choose the Mets...

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baseball in New York

LDN, you would be wrong if you said that. There are four professional baseball teams in New York City -- no more, and no less. The minor leagues are part of the same system of professional baseball as the major leagues, and indeed the Staten Island Yankees are a "farm team" (that is, a place for developing new talent) for the New York Yankees, and the Brooklyn Cyclones perform the same function for the Mets. That you were ignorant of this fact is unfortunate, but it does not make Mel wrong. Furthermore, not only can one can acquire a basic familiarity with professional baseball at a minor league game at a much lower cost -- and thus make a subsequent trip to a major league game both more intelligible and mroe enjoyable -- but in the minor leagues the stadiums are more intimate, there are additional forms of entertainment offered for the fans, and one can fit a Cyclones game into a larger excursion to Coney Island. Mel's advice is therefore excellent -- which is owed in part to the fact that he, at least, knew what he was talking about.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baseball in New York

Thank you everyone and sorry this caused a little "issue" between a few fans. I am sure same thing would happen if you guys were coming here to Australia ,and were asking advise re AFL or Rugby teams etc. LOL

I think as my son is 18, and Yankees are so well known, it will be yankies we aim for tickets for, especially now we know the Mets are on the road.

I will look at those sites, and try and get tickets within budget, but with good views. The views have first priority over cost as this stage (but withing limits)

Thank you again for all that information, help and advise about where to book tickets. So very appreciated.!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baseball in New York

Just got tickets, wohoooooo

New York Yankees vs. Cleveland Indians

Mon, Jun 25, 2012 07:05 PM

Seats were $200 each and seem good seats. There were others for over $1000!!! yikes!! Got a cap promotion too.

Thank you again

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baseball in New York

to really enjoy the experience do your best to arrive when the gates open which is usually about 90 minutes or so before first pitch, maybe more since there is so much to see at Yankee stadium. Make sure to go out and see the plaques and take your time walking around the stadium and soaking it all in.