We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone ever stayed in a holiday rental in NYC?

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Anyone ever stayed in a holiday rental in NYC?

Ive been looking into holiday apartments in Manhattan for this december, but have seen bad reviews for several companies that the photos do not represents the accomodation fairly, or in some cases they are a complete scam and dont exsist.

Has anyone stayed in an apartment in NYC and able to reccomend a company?

Thanks in advance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Anyone ever stayed in a holiday rental in NYC?

Everyone has given you the correct advice. But, technically, we don't even have "holiday rentals" in NYC. If anything, the are called "vacation rentals" or "illegal rentals."

Technically, "holiday" is not a USA term in the way you mean it. We use "holiday" for "official" holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc.) and use the term "vacation" for this extended trip things (or if you don't travel but just take some days off from sort, its not even called "vacation": its called "staycation"!)

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Anyone ever stayed in a holiday rental in NYC?

Hi

apologies to all who have jus tried to be helpful, but this is directed at some of the responses, your attitude is ridiculous.

I would like to point out that

1 - I indicated that I was aware that most rentals were not legitiate, and was therefore asking if there are any companies/exceptions to the rule

2 - I had read the suggested article already, but it states the following

"Yes, there are some legit and legal ones out there, but they're hard to find and there's no way to tell from an ad or website what you're getting. To find legal sublets for periods in excess of a month some websites such as sublet.com may be helpful"

"In general, renting an apartment to someone without a lease for less than 30 days at a time is illegal."

Which clearly indicates that there are some exceptions to the rule, which was what I was asking.

3 - those of you who have just commented to express your disbelief at this question being asked, some of us dont have time to trawl through all the forums to work out the finer points on laws, so rely on helpful answers from others, u, clearly, have far too much time on your hands.

4 - I am English, I go on Holiday, not vacation. I didnt realise I am meant to use all american sayings when writing on here, obviously you managed to translate it though.

Thanks Ruthie1971 for possibly the only helpful answer.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Anyone ever stayed in a holiday rental in NYC?

So, according to your screen name - does this condition affect your common sense gene?

Under 30 day rentals = illegal.

Exceptions = breaking the law.

Climb down off your high horse - just what we need another huffy Brit.

Edited: 11 May 2012, 22:34
Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Anyone ever stayed in a holiday rental in NYC?

Have you not read the sections of the post I pasted in?? It contradicts what ive heard and what everyone has said.... thats why i asked for clarification.

Huffy Brit totally - when several responses have been posted JUST to state how silly it is that another question has been asked about apartments, I have reason to be Huffy.

I dont understand why people dont just ignore my question if it irritates them that much...? I have seen this often on tripadvisor, and it stinks, its a website for advice, not to exclaim when someone asks for help.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Anyone ever stayed in a holiday rental in NYC?

>>some of us dont have time to trawl through all the forums to work out the finer points on laws, so rely on helpful answers from others, u, clearly, have far too much time on your hands.<<

I guess the people who helpfully answer the same question every day, sometimes more than once a day, have too much time on their hands. I hope they see this comment so they know they shouldn't waste any more time answering your questions.

The people who wrote the informational article on vacation rentals in New York -- who apparently also misspent their time providing easily accessible advice for you and other travelers -- did indicate that there are a few exceptions to the law, but they also advised against wasting time (which you say you are short on) looking for a needle in a haystack.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Anyone ever stayed in a holiday rental in NYC?

Well said, Lauren.

Thank you!

Poppa

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Anyone ever stayed in a holiday rental in NYC?

I did say my response wasnt directed at everyone, and apologised in advance for those who had helped. It was directed at those who posted messages just to offend. Which everyome can clearly see.

The article was helpful, which lead me to my question, which no one has had an answer too. Instead, a few people have presumed ive not tried to find out myself, and decided to get annoyed that I dare ask.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Anyone ever stayed in a holiday rental in NYC?

Orangeballs,

The thing is, you asked about reputable companies and talked about scams. You didn't say that you understood most rentals are illegal, but a great many people come here and admit that while they know rentals are illegal they don't much care so long as they can rent one without losing their money.

No one can recommend a company to you that lists only legal apartment rentals. There is no such thing. Companies that advertise them don't care if it's legal or not so long as they get paid for their ads.

If you've read that thread that people linked, I believe it explains the few exceptions to the law - I'm not sure, but I think it's something like it has to be a building that has only two or three units and the owner lives in one of them. There are very, very few of those.

It's just much easier and safer (for you) to look into apartment style hotels. If you do a search you can see some of these. There's the Affinia group of hotels that you can do a search for here, and quite a few more. If you just look at first few pages of posts here you'll see thread after thread about apartment rentals and you'll see many suggestions for alternative accomodations. You'll also see that the people who answer questions regularly here answer that same question several times a day, over and over, and many people give them attitude about it. It must be exasperating.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 00:11
Montreal
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Anyone ever stayed in a holiday rental in NYC?

But Orangeballs, you say in post 12: - 'I indicated that I was aware that most rentals were not legitiate, and was therefore asking if there are any companies/exceptions to the rule"

But your original post indicates you see there are scams, not that there are legal issues, that is what everyone was trying to tell you.

Goulburn, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Anyone ever stayed in a holiday rental in NYC?

Hi you have all just scared me off from posting on trip advisor!!! Are you all so tough on these forums.... I thought the original question was quite valid as after readibg all info there was still an indication that there are some legal short term rentals in NYC so wouldnt it be obvious to post a question asking if anyone knew of these "needle in a haystack" legit rentals ... Isnt that what these forums are all about? From a confused aussie who also takes " holidays".......