We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels for Wedding Guests

Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Hotels for Wedding Guests

Hi can anyone help me? My fiancee and i are getting married next april in NYC. We are trying to find hotels in Times Square/Broadway area. At the moment we are finding it hard to find accomodation under $260(incl taxes) a night. Is this the norm for this area? When would be the best time to book for next april? We are looking at approx 15 rooms for approx 5/6 nights.

Cheers

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels for Wedding Guests

Can't help with specifics but if you can post your exact dates that would help those in the know to offer more accurate suggestions as prices can vary from day to day.

Is it possible you could negociate a discount with a hotel if you are booking so many rooms at a time? I think April is a very popular time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels for Wedding Guests

If you mean April 2013, it's too early to look for hotel deals on websites.

Given you need so many rooms, I would consider making a short list of hotels and contacting each of them directly to get a group discount deal.

Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels for Wedding Guests

I think it is maybe still to early to be booking hotels for next easter. We've tried emailing a few hotels but the prices they have come back with are $300(Taxes incl) + a night.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,073 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels for Wedding Guests

When you email the hotels- Give them the "round robin"...

Definitely tell them you are shopping around and you may even let them know some of the quotes or the best quote you have got so far.

Also there are free sites like www.hotelplanner.com that get bids for you, and even get the hotel to put in a free room.

You are bringing business to the hotel so they should work with you a bit (w / in reason) and be flexible to the financial capabilities of you and your guest.

If you seem desperate or settled on their hotel they will high ball you-the fact is whatever hotel you chose will make thousands-so know you're valuable-let them know your budget in the e-mail (and quotes as I said).

You could start now and then set a date that you want it secured by.

The larger hotels with more rooms to fill would obviously be a good start (Crowne Plaza, Doubletree Suites times Square) did you look at the Millinium yet-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93486-R…

Well good luck & congrats

Edited: 14 May 2012, 03:41
Dublin
Level Contributor
513 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels for Wedding Guests

It's a little outside that area but Hilton Hotel Fashion District have some good rates compared to the TS area, looks to get good reviews and is fairly modern. We've booked for later this year. Could check it out and contact them directly for rates.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels for Wedding Guests

I can tell you from experience that negotiating a lower rate for 15 rooms comes with it's problems--- when we thought about this we found the only was to get a lower rate was to commit to the rooms and what if your guests have other plans or can cut even better deals--- I would just sent them a list of recommended place in relation to where the venue is but other than that just stay out of it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels for Wedding Guests

April is not an especially expensive time for hotels unless it's around Easter. I would contact some of the chains like Marriott, Hilton and Starwood and see if 15 rooms would get you a group discount. (Some chains consider 20+ rooms a group booking). You should also know sometimes in order to do this, they may require you guarantee them a certain number of rooms so if not everyone decides to come, you could wind up owing for rooms that are not used. Just a heads up.

Marriott has the following hotels in and around TS:

Marriott Marquis

Renaissance

Courtyard Times Square South

Residence Inn Times Square

Fairfield Inn & Suites TS

Algonquin

Good Starwood hotels in the area are

Westin

W Times Square

Element

Four Points Times Square

Hilton has the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square and the Hampton Inn Times Square North, both of which are very good if you need some rooms for more than 2 people.

Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels for Wedding Guests

Thanks so much, for your replies. We orginally wanted a small hotel but we think the best way to go is through the larger chain hotel as youve said above they have more rooms to fill. We'll check through the lists above and see what they can offer. Meanwhile we'll keep an eye on sites such kayak.com.We're actually getting married easter tuesday in Chapel just off Times Square, so most of ur guests are flying in easter Sat/Sun for 5/6 nights. No doubt you'll hear from me again before then! :-P

Thanks again for your time.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,770 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels for Wedding Guests

I want to reiterate what Bill said: when I tried to do this for my own wedding, I found that most hotels were not willing to block rooms unless we guaranteed a minimum number would be booked, and often the rate they offered us was HIGHER than the rate I could have booked the rooms at myself at that point. We ended up getting a room block at what was then a brand new (and not yet opened!) Holiday Inn Express in Brooklyn (so they were more wililng to work with us), and advising our guests how to find cheaper rooms elsewhere in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Best of luck with your search.

10. Re: Hotels for Wedding Guests

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:40