We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch in Central Park after the Museum of Natural History

Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch in Central Park after the Museum of Natural History

On our last day (Saturday) I'm planning to get the M10 bus to Museum of Natural History to get there when it opens at 10am. We need to be back at our hotel by about 2pm as we need to be at JFK by 3.30pm.

I was thinking that if we left the museum by about 12.30 we could have a walk through Central Park and pick up some lunch on the way. Google maps says it would take about 40 mins to walk from the museum to our hotel (West 57th St). I thought it would be nice to eat in Central Park. The best place seems to be the Loeb Boathouse where we can pick up a snack.

Is this the only option for eating in Central Park - bearing in mind we need to get from W 72st to W 57th? Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
132 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,098 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,211 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch in Central Park after the Museum of Natural History

centralparknyc.org/visit/…

centralpark.com/guide/activities/dining-in-t…

centralpark.com/guide/activities/dining-arou…

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,093 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch in Central Park after the Museum of Natural History

centralparknyc.org/visit/…

(official website)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,211 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch in Central Park after the Museum of Natural History

What was unofficial about the website I posted twenty-three minutes before you? :(

Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch in Central Park after the Museum of Natural History

Thanks. I was struggling with this web site - thought there would be a bookmark called "Where to eat". Did not think of looking at "Dining" under activities.

Is the Boathouse the best one to go for? There's not a lot of detail on the others.

Or should we get some lunch before heading into Central Park?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch in Central Park after the Museum of Natural History

I like the Le Pain Quotidien at the north end of the Sheep Meadow. (In the Mineral Springs pavilion next to the lawn bowling). Good sandwiches, salads, baked goods, etc. You can eat there or get lunch to go.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
597 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch in Central Park after the Museum of Natural History

+1. It's pretty much on your way to your hotel. The food is decent and reasonably priced. Also, as noted you can dine there or have the food "to go". If you decide to stay, you can either sit indoors or out, which is a good option in the event of inclement weather.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch in Central Park after the Museum of Natural History

Are you looking for a snack or a nice lunch? The Boathouse is an "experience" type place..Very pretty view, food is Ok but expensive, IMHO. I don't think you have enough time

There are food carts all over the park..good to grab a snack and walk around or sit on a bench and people watch

Are you going anywhere near 5th Ave? Theres a food court at The Plaza

Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch in Central Park after the Museum of Natural History

Thank-you. Just a snack, I think we'll probably go to Norma's for pancakes in the morning. We'll just want a bite to eat before heading to the airport. :-( The Boathouse website mentioned that it did snacks - but there was also a lot of stuff about bad management and strikes on the TA site - so it put me off a bit.

Le Pain Quotidien looks like our best bet - especially as we can eat in or take out - depending on the weather. That you very much for your advice.

Dee2673 - not going to be near 5th Ave on our last day, but I've got it down for our first day when we hope to go to Central Park Zoo.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch in Central Park after the Museum of Natural History

Regarding the amount of time it takes to get from CPW at 81st Street to 8th Avenue at W 57th Street -

If you walk like a New Yorker (meaning a brisk walking pace, but not running) through Central Park, you can probably do this walk in 20-25 minutes, not 40. I'm saying this from personal experience.

Obviously, if you want a more leisurely pace, it will take longer.

Also, if your hotel is closer to 5th Avenue and W 57th Street, then you will need to add a few minutes to walk crosstown.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
10,696 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch in Central Park after the Museum of Natural History

The Boathouse has indoor seating and an elegant restaurant. But it also has a kind of "take-out" section for folks who want fries and fast food, around the back (no lake view). I don't think the food is the same.

There is also an outdoor section with lake view), which is pretty and worthwhile for a rest and camera moment -- people rowing, ducks swimming, etc.