We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan a one day trip please

Atlanta, Georgia
5 posts
Save Topic
Help me plan a one day trip please

I'll be in NYC with a friend for one day this Sat, starting at Noon and ending whatever time we happen to roll in (preferably before 11pm as we have an early morning the next day.)

A few things we'd love to see

Time Square

Ground Zero

Central Park

Fifth Ave

Empire State Building

I'm not sure if that's too much to cram into one day or not. Can anyone recommend a good way to arrange these sights to make the most of it and some nice places to shop/eat along the way?

I'm assuming some places would need a cab or subway ride but are we able to walk to most of these from each other?

Also, if there's something close by that we should see and don't have on the list I'd love suggestions. Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan a one day trip please

Hi Ann

Where are you starting out from? Grand Central? Hotel somewhere? Penn Station? Would be good to know, to be able to recommend order of things to do.....

Suzy

www.alittlebigapple.com

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan a one day trip please

"something close by" ?????? Close by what?

Have you looked on a map to see where the sights you want to visit are located??

BTW it's TIMES Square (named for the NYTimes, newspaper)

Ground Zero is the 9/11 Memorial site!

Fifth Avenue is a few miles long........what do you want to see on the street?

Central Park - any special area?

A guidebook should have a map.........

Poppa

Atlanta, Georgia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan a one day trip please

Poppa, I was referring to "something close by" one or any of the sights I listed. For example, "since you'll be by the empire state building anyway you could check this out too" was the kind of response I was going for.

We could start at any one of those locations since our hotel is by the airport and we'd have to take a cab anyway. To make things easy, lets say TIMES Square (thank you so much for the spelling correction!!)

Yes I've looked at a map, no I don't have a clue what areas of central park, I've never been there so I don't have any idea or I would have posted that.

If I knew what exactly I wanted to see and where exactly everything was, I probably wouldn't have needed to post this question in the first place asking for advice on how to best order things.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan a one day trip please

So, you've done no research whatsoever - when I travel I like to brush up on the locality I'm visiting by using a library or GOOGLE to find out what is what etc.

Did you look at the TOP QUESTIONS for NYC to the right of these postings, lots of information there.

However, I will suggest, in numerical order what might be a logical progression of the sights you list:

1. start at Empire State Building

2 head up to Times Square on 5th Avenue

3 from TS go up 5th to Central Park

4. from CP take a cab to the 9/11 Memorial site

OK

Poppa

Atlanta, Georgia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan a one day trip please

I do have four days left during which I am planning to do more research, it's not like I posted this on Friday night. I'm not sure why you are so hostile, but thanks anyway for the suggestions.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,891 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan a one day trip please

For such a short time, I would look at the Empire State Building from Top of the Rock

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan a one day trip please

Hi Ann

Okay, so you have about 10 hours in NYC. You can do alot in that time. I would be inclined to start with Ground Zero, right down the bottom of Manhattan, then work your way up.

You really have so many options.....

From Ground Zero - Subway from Chambers street (1 train) to Christopher Street in the West Village (heaps of places around here to eat), just a great NYC neighbourhood to wander around - magnolia bakery

Then, depending on just how much walking you want to do, you could slowly walk north - east, reaching 23rd street and heading towards 5th avenue.

The Flatiron building is at the intersection of Fifth avenue and Broadway - you should see this. There is also a food festival on at the moment near here called Madison Square Eats which looks good

Then walk up fifth avenue to 34th street - Empire State

After Empire state - continue up fifth avenue - past the NY public library (between 40 and 42nd street) (also behind the library is lovely bryant park if you want to check it out

From here you could go to Times square - but I would be inclined to save times square for when it gets dark, so instead keep going up fifth avenue to central park (plaza hotel on corner)

Wander around Central park

Walk back down towards Times Square.

Suzy

www.alittlebigapple.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan a one day trip please

Hi Ann, sorry i meant to mention - as a guide, 10 north/south blocks takes 10 to 15 minutes to walk (above 14th street). East - West blocks are longer.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan a one day trip please

Thank you for the replies, very helpful! It's especially good to know how long it takes to walk a block. I think starting at Ground Zero is a good idea, I'll probably end up doing that and going from there. Also googled Magnolia Bakery and that looks very tasty!

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me plan a one day trip please

On my second visit to NYC, I was able to do more than you mention (with the exception of Central Park) in less time than you will have, so you can accomplish a lot in the 11 or so hours you will have. One thing that I did and would recommend is to take the Staten Island Ferry round trip to be able to see the Statue of Liberty. If you plan that first, you can then go by the WTC site and proceed as Suzy mentioned above. One thing in the WTC area that is worth visiting is St. Paul's to see the pictures and displays that are there. I would just walk past the Empire State Building - maybe go in the lobby which is pretty cool - but don't plan to go up to the observation level. It will use up too much of your time. Instead, you can go to Top of the Rock when you go up 5th Ave and are at Rockefeller Center. A stop in St. Patrick's is also an option in that area. As you are walking up 5th, before you get to Rockefeller, turn right onto 42nd Street and stop in Grand Central Terminal. As mentioned above, enter Central Park at the southeast corner and exit at the southwest corner at Columbus Circle. You can walk down Broadway to Times Square from there. To do all of this, you won't be able to spend a lot of time at each place, but you can check a lot of things off your list of places to see.