We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

£200pp budget for NYC Hotel 4 nights?

Wales, Uk
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
£200pp budget for NYC Hotel 4 nights?

My sister and I are travelling to New York for 4 nights in early December for a shopping/site seeing trip.

With the price of flights (around £4-450) im trying to keep to a budget of about £400 for both of us to stay (dont require breakfast).

I dont really fancy a hostel but any hotels im getting are coming up more expensive, even the very cheapest.

Im not sure im looking at the right areas as im totally clueless. All I know is we would like somewhere pretty close to most attractions. I dont mind using the subway but only for a short time or preferably walk.

Can anyone recommend specific areas or hotels?

Thanks in advance

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: £200pp budget for NYC Hotel 4 nights?

We use USDs in the USA.

You need to give your EXACT dates.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: £200pp budget for NYC Hotel 4 nights?

Are you flying into JFK?

You are looking at Long Island City I would think with that budget and you even struggle with such a low budget for a very popular time of year. You will not find anywhere close to most attractions. The subway is fast, cheap and efficient.

I like the Country Inn although there are other such as the Verve which are highly regarded.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: £200pp budget for NYC Hotel 4 nights?

The budget is around $155/night or so, vjp

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: £200pp budget for NYC Hotel 4 nights?

Thanks LMV--- Yes LIC is where you want to look but I would put a little more into the hotel budget and a little less in the shopping budget

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,261 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: £200pp budget for NYC Hotel 4 nights?

You're coming at the most expensive time of year, and your budget is really low. You also have to remember that taxes will add an additional 15% on top of the room rate, so you're basically looking for a room for a rate of $135 a night. You're unlikely to find ANYTHING at all in Manhattan for that budget - it'd be hard to find anything in that budget at a cheap time of year, let alone the first week in December. Can you increase it at all?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: £200pp budget for NYC Hotel 4 nights?

Early Dec. is the most expensive time of year for hotels. Country Inn & Suites in Long island City may work if you fly into JFK.

Wales, Uk
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: £200pp budget for NYC Hotel 4 nights?

havent booked flights and flexible on dates. Looking to go for the christmas experience. So anytime from late Nov to early Dec.

Flying to JFK

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,261 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: £200pp budget for NYC Hotel 4 nights?

Everything in there will likely be expensive. You might have a little bit better luck the last week in November, but I wouldn't count on it. You'd do better to just increase your hotel budget.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: £200pp budget for NYC Hotel 4 nights?

Or make it later in December. We have gone the week before Christmas a couple of times, and the rooms were half what they were the first week of December.

Wales, Uk
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: £200pp budget for NYC Hotel 4 nights?

Yes. If needs be we can pay more. Im looking to keep it as cheap as poss for extra spends. So an increase is ok. Like I said im pretty clueless