We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greyhound or Megabus

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Topic
Greyhound or Megabus

I checked the bus tix from Buffalo to NYC on Greyhound and Megabus. Megabus is cheaper by a few bucks. Should I be taking the megabus or is greyhound a better choice??

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
996 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,386 reviews
from US$36.00*
staten island
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greyhound or Megabus

On Tuesay, my son took megabus from nyc to buffalo and he said it was fine. He also occasionally takes Greyhound. I think he goes for the cheapest option. Sometimes you can get an inexpensive flight between Buffalo and JFK with Jetblue. I think he checks flights, buses and train, then decides. He paid about $40 this last time.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greyhound or Megabus

Thanks! Yeah buses on megabus is about $37 and $46 on greyhound. I think flights are around $60 on jetblue.

3. Re: Greyhound or Megabus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 May 2012, 23:05
Florida
Level Contributor
247 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greyhound or Megabus

I'm a fan of Greyhound, simply because if there is any problem with a bus, they have a large enough fleet that a replacement won't take long - minutes in fact. On my last trip back from NYC, the scheduled Greyhound bus was delayed in traffic and hadn't reached Port Authority but they replaced it with a Peter Pan bus (subsidiary and just as good quality) which was already at the station within 5 minutes!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greyhound or Megabus

If you can fly for $60, FLY!!! The road is long and broing and not worth the savings.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greyhound or Megabus

The only problem with Whiz's suggestion is that it is not just the $60 but the cost to get from the airport to the city compared to already being in the city with the bus... It can double the cost if you take a cab or car service--- I too think it is a long ride on either bus but you are not comparing apples to apples when you mention flying

7. Re: Greyhound or Megabus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 00:05
Edited: 03 June 2014, 00:05
Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greyhound or Megabus

My daughter took megabus from albany to NYC and it was an unpleasant experience The bus was packed and her and her friend could not sit together - no big deal - the wifi didnt' work - also not life changing, but inconvenient. When they went to come back to Albany at 6am Sunday, the bus was not where they were told it would be. They were panicked searching for the bus. Fortunately, they were one of the lucky ones to have not missed it. I have heard other negative reviews of megabus, but maybe they got their act together over the last 2 years. I agree with the other poster and for a few extra bucks go with greyhound.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greyhound or Megabus

I'm a big fan of saving money but if the cost of flying is only $60.00, I'd fly.

If the cost of airport transfers makes this prospect seem cost prohibitive, I'd encourage you to use the fast and efficient public bus system in Buffalo to get to the airport (I've used the buses in Buffalo and felt they were well-run, reliable / dependable). It is possible to take the Q.10 bus from JFK Airport to the subway (free transfer between bus and subway with a MetroCard)

Even with the time for the local Buffalo city bus to the airport and the time the Q.10 and subway would take, it is still faster and more comfortable than what appears to be an 8 hour bus trip.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,835 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greyhound or Megabus

I agree with NYWhiz fly if i did take the bus i go Greyhound.