We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to NYC

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
first time to NYC

hi guys

i did post on here a little while ago, but have finally got my plans set in stone.

I am flying in from La on the 16th of June and Flying out on the 20th (Short & Sweet)

I have booked in at the Hudson Hotel (It was really all that was available this close out) Ideally I would loved to have stayed at the beacon (Am still seeing if anywhere has availability)

I have 4 full days and dont really want to be rushing around, I am not entirely interested in doing touristy things, but I feel I probably should whilst I am there. Basically I would love to see ground zero and maybe see a broadway show (is spiderman terrible?)

I am in New York to do a little bit of shopping and just hang out.

Any recommendations of some things to do (We are both 19 years old) Any good places to eat nearby the Hudson?

How difficult is it to commute between the location and times square etc?

Any help would be great! Thanks

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to NYC

Transportation is easy, use the subway.

Try to get timed 911 tickets ahead of time, they are free. They may be out this close. If they are the hop on hop off water taxi has them.

I have a blog you might be interested in:

http://www.galatitravel.com/New_York.html

We spent 16 days in the City last year and posted pics and good maps of walks. It might give you an idea of some places to go.

No matter what you do the City is great!!

Enjoy!

Cyndi

New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to NYC

You would "love to see Ground Zero?" Really?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to NYC

Of course I would love to see it. I didn't mean to offend you, I think it would be really interesting.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to NYC

there is actually no such place as "ground zero". Its the WTC area.

St Pauls Chapel is a lovely place to spend some time - very moving.

Spiderman was described as a "hot mess" by a friend of mine but you may love it!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to NYC

Many NYers are offended by the term "Ground Zero", just fyi. Understandable, if you think about it..

Just a heads up..:)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to NYC

Welcome to NY. These days, the center for hip and cool has left Manhattan and radiated to the Brooklyn side of the river. Many of the good music venues such as The Knitting Factory, Trash Bar, Grand Victory, The WBurg Music Hall and Europa are in Williamsburg in the Northside. This is a great neighborhood to be young in. Lots of small stores, great food and amazing views of Manhattan across the river. Grand Ferry Park is one of my favorites and is located at the foot of Grand Street. It is tiny and has a great cinema noir feel to it after dark.

Do come downtown to the Trade Center to both pay your respects and to see what is going up in its place. I would take the subway to the bottom of Manhattan and catch a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. Sit on the right side of the boat to get the SOL view. When you get back to Manhattan walk up Broadway. You will pass Bowling Green, Charging Bull, Wall Street, Zuccotti Park, Century 21 [great discount shopping down Dye Street], St Paul's Chapel [which has a great 9/11 exhibit] the Woolworth Building and finally City Hall Park. From there you can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge or continue north, making a left on Worth Street into Chinatown.

As for a show, check out the web site for Fuerza Bruta which is off Broadway in a theater on Union Square. After the show, this is a great place to hang out and people watch. You can also check out the Blue Man Group on Lafayette Street. St. Marks Place is the place to hangout in the East Village area - and if you like Indian food, there are lots of places on East 6th Street.

Have a blast.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,374 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to NYC

I had a friend stay at the Hudson Hotel for 2 nights just this week and she said her room was tiny but that the hotel was modern and cool looking. I think the two of you will do fine there and will like the overall vibe. But have you checked with them to make sure you won't have any problem checking in (since you are both under 21)?

The Hudson is on 58th Street just east of Ninth Avenue. To eat nearby, just head down Ninth Avenue - Hell's Kitchen has loads of restaurants. I don't spend a lot of time there, so others may have more recommendations, but one place I like is a Mexican restaurant called Hell's Kitchen. Very good and creative food. It's on Ninth Avenue between 46th & 47th Streets.

You can easily walk to Times Square from your hotel. Also an easy walk to Columbus Circle and Central Park.

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but I'll point out that at 19 the two of you are too young to drink in the US and will not be able to get into bars or clubs.

I didn't enjoy Spider-Man and it has generally received bad reviews. I have a friend who works there and says it is at or near sellout for every performance, but the crowd is mainly non-English-speaking tourists...his opinion is that they find it easy to follow since they already know the story line. I think you can do better, but only you know what's going to please you.

Have fun!

8. Re: first time to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 May 2012, 22:05
UK
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time to NYC

I hope you have a really good trip.

I didn't think using Ground Zero was a problem.... no 14 out of 704 attractions is the Ground Zero Museum Workshop and they mention an official Ground Zero photographer. Visiting Ground Zero is on many people's list of 'must do's'

while visiting the city - why else would they offer tickets to see it.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time to NYC

GWB made reference to it but you do know don't you that the drinking age in NYC is 21 and many hotels (including the Hudson evidently) have a minimum check in age of 21--- did you tell them you were both 19 ?

and sunshine if there is anything more offensive than the term ground zero it is that pretend museum and workshop which is a rip off--- Please do not patronize that place. Rankings on TA are easily manipulated and not to be believed. I personnaly do not get offended when people use the term but I understand how others can be

Edited: 18 May 2012, 20:25