We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabs can't be called?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,823 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cabs can't be called?

Just saw this in another post. Let's say you're at a restaurant, and you decide you just don't want to shlep to the subway to get home...the restaurant can't call a cab to come pick you up there? I know you can walk to a main street and hail one, but in many cities having one waiting right outside the door is a nice treat.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cabs can't be called?

You will not be lacking a cab in 99% of the situations--- but just remember when crossing the street --- the yellow ones don't stop

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,823 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cabs can't be called?

I called the restaurant and you were right, they said they do not have any car service in particular they would call.

It's funny how the rules are different in different places...I go to Las Vegas a lot and there you are not allowed to hail taxis on the street! They can be fined if they pick up someone. They must be called or gotten at a taxi line such as a hotel.

Glad I asked, too.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cabs can't be called?

Part of the reason, I think, why taxis cannot be called for in New York is that there are so many taxis that if you called one and then went outside, a different one would show up right away. You'd take that one and then the taxi that had been called wouldn't have a passenger. They'd also need to have some system where you also pay for time and distance en route to where you're being picked up. Paris does this.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cabs can't be called?

Let's face it. Cab companies in various cities have various rules. Fortunately in NYC there are usually lots of cabs willing to pick you up. Where I live (Portland, Or) you can't really hail a cab. Have to call in advance. Weird stuff, these cabbie rules.

Edited: 19 May 2012, 20:17
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cabs can't be called?

I recall that in New Orleans, you can hail a cab from the street, too.

Furthermore, in Washington, DC, you can hail a cab from the street, and the driver can stop and keep picking up hails while you're in the cab!! I always found this very annoying.

In NYC, "car services" that you call for are also known as "livery services," or "livery cabs." That's the legal term for them.

The fancier "black car" services have fleets of Lincoln Town Cars, limos, or maybe BMWs, Caddys and Mercedes-Benzes. These days, you might also see fancier hybrids in the Meatpacking District picking up passengers. Sad to say, I miss the old Crown Victorias (RIP).

Sometimes, people use "cab" to mean "taxi" or to mean "car service." Depends on the context.

You can say "I'll call a cab" or "I'll hail a cab" and we'll know those are two different things you're talking about.

But no one interchanges the terms "car service" and "taxi."

16. Re: Cabs can't be called?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:40