We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fleet Week Parade of Ships

new york
Level Contributor
121 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Fleet Week Parade of Ships

Does anyone have any tips for watching the Parade of Ships? I was planning on Battery Park, mostly because of the great views and the availability of restrooms at Castle Clinton. But how about Riverside Park? There must be restrooms there. Or maybe I'll start at the Intrepid and walk south? Planning on packing a picnic and staying as long as I can keep a 12 year old interested. I know viewing is available from NJ, which would make for great photos w/ Manhattan in the background, but I think we would be better off viewing from Manhattan as we can quickly do something else if we get bored or thunderstorms/rain.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fleet Week Parade of Ships

A friend posted this good info link on FB.

…wordpress.com/2012/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fleet Week Parade of Ships

I'm not familiar with the Riverside Park section, so maybe someone else can help you there. I usually watch in the section from Battery Park to Chambers Street, where you can get closer to the ships, and there are benches if you don't want to stand for the whole thing. Besides Castle Clinton, there are restrooms in Wagner Park and at the World Financial Center.

Once you get above Chambers Street, there are piers and structures that get in the way, so you're further from the ships unless you can get to the end of one of the piers. There are restrooms at pier 25 and probably at Chelsea Piers but I can't remember exactly where, and I can't remember what kind of view you would get from the park areas above Chelsea Piers, but that may work out too. The section south of the Intrepid is pretty built up until you get to the section above Chelsea Piers, so it's probably not as good as further south (or north, if Riverside Park works out).

The shipping lanes are closer to Manhattan northbound and to New Jersey southbound, so you would have to wait for them to come back down the river for a closer view from New Jersey.

new york
Level Contributor
121 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fleet Week Parade of Ships

Thank you both for the information. Battery Park sounds good. Thanks.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fleet Week Parade of Ships

Hola.

When we are in the City for the event (though not for a few years now) our favorite vantage point of the tall ships is in the middle of the south walkway of the (top level) of the George Washington Bridge. It is a great view of the Hudson River looking south all the way to the Narrows and all the ships can be seen because they sail up the River toward us and then turn around right underneath. Simply splendid! For directions see:

panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/gwb-pedestian-bic…

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
142 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fleet Week Parade of Ships

Sorry for jumping on someone else's thread....I have had a look at the link posted by ztaks and see the Blue Angels are at Jones Beach on Sunday

Does anyone think this will be a good day trip? Is the show good? Is there anything else at Jones Beach? And what's the best way to get there from Manhattan, and how long would it take? (staying close to Grand Central)

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fleet Week Parade of Ships

http://www.fleetweeknewyork.com/events.html

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fleet Week Parade of Ships

>>>Does anyone think this will be a good day trip?<<<

Are you familiar with the Blue Angels - check out their web page and you decide if this would be a worthwhile activity.

Not knowing your likes/dislikes how could one offer an opinion as to your query?

I myself would be proud to be there and see these amazing planes and their talented pilots.

Poppa

Edited: 22 May 2012, 13:00
Parma, OH
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fleet Week Parade of Ships

Yes yes YES on the Blue Angels! I go to their show once a year Labor Day weekened here in Cleveland, Ohio and if you've never experienced a show like that it's a must!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fleet Week Parade of Ships

The Daily News has some items on it today:

nydailynews.com/events/fleet-week-watch-para…

They claim quite a large area is good for viewing but I think they could have done some more research there. The print version may have a map, which was on In the Papers on NY1 this morning but I didn't get a good look at it.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
142 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fleet Week Parade of Ships

Thanks for your replies to my enquiry about the Blue Angels at Jones Beach

Does anyone have a recommendation on how best to get there using public transport (from grand central area), and how long it would take....and is there anything else at Jones Beach apart from the display and the beach itself :)

Thanks