We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate Clothing NYC When it's hot

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
140 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Appropriate Clothing NYC When it's hot

Myself and my partner are visiting NYC for a week from this Friday (the 25th).We have been a few times before but only when it has been cold & wet - unseasonably so in some cases :(!!!

Anyway, the long range forecast on accuweather.com is for it to be pretty hot (by Irish standards :)!!) this time when we are there, meaning lo or mid 80's day time, and mid or high 60's at night.

We are just wondering about acceptable dress in restaurants and bars/clubs in the evening / night. Are shorts / t-shirts / sandals acceptable in all but the finest of bars and restaurants???

Many thanks :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,973 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate Clothing NYC When it's hot

"Are shorts / t-shirts / sandals acceptable in all but the finest of bars and restaurants???"

No, not all. Pants are better, especially at night and it likely won't be hot enough at night to warrant wearing shorts.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,973 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate Clothing NYC When it's hot

I just remembered for some pants means underwear. ;) I mean slacks, long pants. Jeans are fine in most places but are to me hotter than slacks.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate Clothing NYC When it's hot

It indeed does depend on the place but really it is a little early in the year for that--- I have worn shorts to a lot of places in July and August but not this early. In the evening the vast majority of people will be wearing long pants and collered shirts

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate Clothing NYC When it's hot

This fella always beats the heat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Cowboy

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appropriate Clothing NYC When it's hot

Trousers. It's "trousers" that you would want to wear. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Appropriate Clothing NYC When it's hot

While super-short shorts are very much in style for women, I would not expect to get into many clubs if one of you is male and in shorts.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appropriate Clothing NYC When it's hot

even if I have really nice legs, Crans? ;-)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Appropriate Clothing NYC When it's hot

there is a woman who has been going around union square topless (google it if you want, she even uses an umbrella when it rains). apparently you cannot be arrested for being topless in public if you decide it's too hot. anyway, i would recommend bringing closed-toe shoes for evenings, even if you get a pedicure (for men). also you will notice after a day of walking around the city, you will have a dirt "tan" on your feet from all the filth on the streets.

8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Appropriate Clothing NYC When it's hot

Me and my friends are also in NY from Friday but I'm more concerned about all the thunderstorms on the weather forecast!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Appropriate Clothing NYC When it's hot

I find that the over-25 set doesn't wear shorts much in Manhattan. Men wear them a bit more commonly in daytime, but women wear skirts and dresses on hot days way more than shorts. That said, during the day you can wear whatever you want and no one really cares. You'll definitely not be looked at as odd. In the evenings, as others have said, you probably do want to change out of shorts before you go out. Enjoy your week in NYC - I hope the weather will be great for you!