We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington,day trip?

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
226 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Washington,day trip?

I staying in NYC from Dec 31 to Jan 4th. Is it possible to do n granted day trip to Washington DC..?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington,day trip?

Yes, it's possible. I don't think it is a good idea though with such little time in NYC.

What is a "granted" day trip?

Edited: 21 May 2012, 21:17
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington,day trip?

I agree with vjp -- but if you decide to do it anyway, get an early train (www.amtrak.com) and return late and it will be possible but exhausting. The train staion in DC is walkable to everything you want to see.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
226 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington,day trip?

Thanks....granted is my keyboard typing of the word:organised...lil

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington,day trip?

You don't need an organized tour. Just check the Amtrak schedules and figure out how early you're willing to leave New York and how late you're willing to return. Buy your train tickets ASAP since fares only go up and tickets are fully refundable. Indicate that you'll print them out at the station to get this feature.

Although most advise that the extra expense of the somewhat faster, but much more expensive, Acela trains isn't worth it, if you're doing a one day trip the time saving may seem worth it to you. The regular Northeast Regional trains are fine. There are "quiet cars" on most trips if you want some additional shuteye coming or going.

Go to the Washington DC website for some specific advice on how to spend the day. You'll certainly want to visit some of the Smithsonian museums. You might like a tour of the Capitol. It's a short walk from Union Station. If this interests you, you should reserve it online at:

www.visitthecapitol.gov/visit/book_a_tour/

Choose the "book a tour yourself online" option.

One of the nice things about visiting Washington is that most things (including the Smithsonian and the Capitol) are free.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington,day trip?

I will tell you that is a horrible time of year to go to Washington--- despite being south they always seem to have problems every year with snow removal if it comes and it gets colder there than you think. I have had to be there on business and walking on the streets is tough because it is so open the winds whip around the buildings and the monuments.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington,day trip?

Bilmin has a point, but since those amtrak fares are refundable you can always book your ticket and then cancel at the last minute when you get a reliabel weather prediction

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington,day trip?

Generally speaking, during your dates it's unlikely that you will see any snow in DC. That said, it has happened in the past, but it's not the norm.

And here I thought that when bilmin started his sentence about going to DC during a horrible time of year, I figured he meant summer. Summertime humidity in the DC area is truly awful. I actually think you'll be better off visiting sometime between December 31st through January 4th as is your plan!

If you pick January 1st for your day trip, just note that many restaurants either are closed that day in DC or have limited hours.

Edited: 22 May 2012, 01:36
NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington,day trip?

Hola.

Driving time between NYC and DC is 4-4½ hours. Some can do it in a little less but we would not recommend that, and then there is always traffic that can add some time. And even if folks decide to take AMTRAK, there is always the time it takes to get to the train station in NYC, waiting time at the station, then at least 6-7 hours round-trip on the train, and then getting from the train station in DC.

We say that is MUCH too MUCH traveling time to spend on a day trip and recommend at least 2-3 days in DC as it is a wonderful City with lots of history and great sites and sights.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

9. Re: Washington,day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:42