We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

Covington, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation

What's the cheapest way to get from LGA to Fairfield NJ?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation

Walking, of course; it will cost you nothing -- or at least, nothing in cash. Take the footpath on the RFK/Triborough Bridge to Randall's Island, then the other footbridge to Manhattan, and then use the pedestrian walkway on the George Washington Bridge. It should take you at least all day, and you will arrive exhausted.

That is the answer to the question you asked -- but is that really what you wanted to know? If not, try rephrasing your question to elicit the answer you actually want.

Edited: 22 May 2012, 05:34
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation

Take the bus to the subway..take the subway to NY Penn Station..take NJ transit to New Jersey

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation

I hope you're not staying in Fairfield, NJ as a location to do a tourist visit to NYC. It's not at all convenient. If you're visiting friends or family there who will have a car to get you around, the cheapest option is somewhat dependent on how many you are and where exactly in Fairfield you're going. If you're staying there, you may want and need a car to get around and I would suggest renting one and driving yourself. Now, if you'd like to give us more info on how many you are, where, what etc. we can help better.

The cheapest way is outlined here (bus, subway, bus) but will take 3-4 hrs.

http://g.co/maps/esw72

Covington, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation

Yes, we'll be staying in Fairfield. My party consits of two adults and two teens. Staying in NYC would be our first choice, but it's too expensive. What's the closes city that we can get a resaonable hotel, that we can walk?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation

Look at the country Inn & Suites in Long Island City. They have rooms with 2 queen beds, assuming the teens can share, include cont. breakfast in the room rate, are a short hop from LGA by taxi and only a short subway ride into Manhattan. Staying anywhere in NJ makes no sense for you if you're flying into LGA.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation

Rather than staying in NJ - and having all the transportation hassles that this entails - I would check out hotels in the Long Island City area of Queens and the Park Slope or Downtown neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

In Park Slope - you have the Holiday Inn Express on UNION St., and the Super 8 on 3rd Ave. I would avoid the Fairfield as it is too near the projects for my liking. Both of the hotels above are walking distance to fab Fifth Ave which is loaded with great shopping and dining. You can walk to Prospect Park. And...the R train is nearby and convenient.

Bet your kids [and you] would have a much better time staying in Brooklyn [or LIC for that matter] than in the suburbs of Jersey.

Covington, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation

Is Long Island City safe? I had originally planned a trip with a friend that could get my son and I a hotel in Time Square, but things changed. That's why our flights are LGA. I'll take a look at the Country Inn & Suites.

Edited: 22 May 2012, 13:35
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation

Long Island City, is a neighborhood located in Queens. Queens is one of the 5 boroughs that make up New York City. It is safe.

I am confused. In post # 4 you wrote, " What's the closes city that we can get a resaonable hotel, that we can walk?" What exactly are you asking? You can not walk from any city to New York City. You can't even walk from one hotel to all the common tourist sites in NYC. What also is a "reasonable" budget? Can you provide how much you want to spend per night and what type of room you envision getting?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation

Why would I recommend a hotel/area that wasn't safe? LIC isn't the prettiest area but it is safe. Not all the hotels there are within walking distance (or pleasant walking distance) of the subway so I wouldnt recommend just any hotel there. The one I did recommend is the only one that has rooms with 2 queen beds rather than the more typical 2 doubles and is close to the subway. The Verve is another possible option but their reservation system wont take 4 to a room so you'd have to phone to check. They'll take 2 kids with 2 adults. Not sure about teens.

Park Slope Brooklyn is a more attractive area to stay as a neighborhood, but those hotels only have 2 doubles which aren't as comfortable.

Covington, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation

Which is closer? Hilton Garden Inn Queen, Double Tree JFK or Hilton New York JFK. If we're flying into LGA.