We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from cruise port in manhattan to EWR

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
transportation from cruise port in manhattan to EWR

We are returning from a cruise to the Bahamas on the Norwegian Gem on June 23rd. We will disembark at the Manhattan -12th avenue location. We understand that we can get a taxi from there to the airport but are also thinking that a car service with a set price might be a better idea. We would appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thanks!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from cruise port in manhattan to EWR

Car service to Newark is better because they don't have to charge double fare.

NYC cabs can't pick up in NJ and the cabs from NJ can't pick up in NYC. So, you have this system whereas you have twice as many cabs going back and forth because they always need to be empty in one direction. You essentially end up paying double.

You prearrange a sedan with a company like Dial 7 or All State and they can pick up in both NYC and at Newark Airport. I prefer All State - I've always had great luck with them. They're very professional and they seem to have the nicest / newest vehicles with professional drivers. All State also always seems to be a dollar or two more than Dial 7. I believe Dial 7 is the biggest (although Carmel may be the biggest). The three main ones are All State, Dial 7 and Carmel. It seems Carmel always gets the lowest marks.

All State is 1 212 333 3333

Dial 7 is 1 212 777 7777

Carmel is 1 212 666 6666

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from cruise port in manhattan to EWR

Thanks so much for the information. I didn't know which car service to call so this is very helpful!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from cruise port in manhattan to EWR

What time does your flight leave? If you want to see something of New York rather than wait around a long time at the airport, you could just take a local NYC taxi for the short trip to Penn Station. At the station buy New Jersey Transit tickets to Newark Airport (which will include the AirTrain fare from the airport rail station to your terminal.)

With your NJ Transit ticket you can leave your bags at Amtrak baggage claim for a fee of $4.50 for the day and then pick them up before getting the train to the airport. NJ Transit trains are unreserved commuter trains so just pick one that fits with your own schedule. You don't need to do this in advance.

Of course, all of this assumes that you've got quite a bit of time before your flight, and that you'd prefer to spend it in Manhattan rather than sitting at the airport.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from cruise port in manhattan to EWR

Thanks for the tip. Our flight leaves at 6:00 pm and we will have been in Manhatten for 6 days before the cruise so I think we will just stay onboard the cruise ship as long as we can and then take a car service to the airport. It's not ideal but I don't think we have quite enough time to hang out in Manhatten without worrying about missing our flight. I'm going to print out your instructions and put them in our travel file for next time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from cruise port in manhattan to EWR

cruise ships usually dock in the morning - and they want you off the boat so they can start changing it over for the next group. you'd really rather sit at the airport all day?

I could understand doing that if you were from another country and didnt speak English, but you will be wasting a whole day. I know it's a personal thing, but since Im often delayed in airports the last thing I would do is volunteer to spend unnecessary time in one!

suitcaseready.com

california
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from cruise port in manhattan to EWR

If my ship docks at 8:00 am on a Thursday in Manhattan, will I be able to make a Virgin America 1:00 pm flight from EWR? Is the fastest way to arrange a private car to pick us up?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation from cruise port in manhattan to EWR

Any one could give me an idea if I will be able to catch my Carnival Cruise by 3 pm embarkation time? Well my flight arrive the same day at 2.15pm on Dec 3rd into Newark Airport i.e. EWR. I thought i booked for the 2nd of December. Or can some one help me to get at the Carnival Terminal on time?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation from cruise port in manhattan to EWR

Which port?

If the West Side or Brooklyn, you can't make it. You need an earlier flight.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation from cruise port in manhattan to EWR

The address is 711 12th Avenue at 55th St, New York City

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation from cruise port in manhattan to EWR

Or someone could drive me faster to the Carnival Cruise Terminal Pier 90 - Port of New York from EWR at 2.15pm (ETA) provided No Flight Delays on Dec 3rd need to be there by 3 pm. I called Carnival and they mentioned to me that they could wait until 3.30 pm, otherwise, I am out of luck.