We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lady Liberty - confused

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Lady Liberty - confused

Planning itinerary to NYC for June 12-19. Wanted to visit Statue of Liberty just found on website that the interior of Lady Liberty is closed for rennovation. Question to NYC experts: If it is closed, do you just ride out there for a close up view and then return? Really had wanted to visit the museum I read about in Fodor's, but guess that is not happening now. Anyone been to the statue since the interior was closed? If so, what do you do there? Just wondering if I should block 3-4 hours 1 day for the ferry ride or do something else. If anyone has been recently, I would love to hear about your experience since the inside is closed. Many thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lady Liberty - confused

Hi, TXJeffrey: I'd skip the island if the interior is being renovated. Take the Staten Island Ferry. It's free and you can do a RT. People say that that there are tour boats that get closer, but for my money the ferry gives you a fantastic view of Lady Liberty. And, if you time it so that you're coming back to Manhattan at dusk, you can see the lights coming up and get great pictures of the skyline.

To get to the SI Ferry if you are on the West side, take the 1 train to South Ferry. If you're coming from the East side, take the 5 to Bowling Green and walk downtown. If you like to walk, you can now walk from midtown (where your hotel is likely located) all the way down to the ferry at the tip of Manhattan through the waterside park. (About 30 minutes from 42nd St.) Here's some info on the ferry:

http://siferry.com/

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lady Liberty - confused

The statue may be closed, but she's still worth having a good look at...and the ferry goes on to Ellis Island, which has now turned into the immigration museum...not to be missed! It may even be the museum you're referring to? Lady Liberty has a small museum as well, about how she was built, quite interestingm but I believe closed for the time being....

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lady Liberty - confused

The SOL ferry stops first at Liberty Island, and then Ellis Island. You can get off at Liberty Island if you like, take some pictures, and then catch the next boat to Ellis Island. You can also stay on the boat and never get off at Liberty Island, and debark at Ellis.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lady Liberty - confused

personally I don't think the Staten Island ferry is a good alternative....you don't get up close at all....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,580 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lady Liberty - confused

Agree with Meyem.

My first choice to see the statue up CLOSE is to get off at Liberty Island, second choice is a Circle Line cruise or similar, third choice is SI ferry.

6. Re: Lady Liberty - confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 May 2012, 11:55
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lady Liberty - confused

Hope you now have had your confusion explained. The SOL is closed for repairs - seeing it up close is really no big deal - Ellis Island Immigration Museum is a wonderful place and if you have anyone who entered the US there, even more significant.

The SI ferry will give you two chances to see Lady Liberty, on the way to SI and returning.

Do what you will, I'd just head to EI.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lady Liberty - confused

"seeing it up close is really no big deal " Sorry, Poppa, i have to disagree. I put the Statue right up there with the Lincoln Memorial, etc. If not on the island itself, the Circle Line cruise is the next best bet. I saw one of my best friends since childhood reduced to tears as we floated next to Lady Liberty. You can't presume to know what is "no big deal" for people.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 01:13
Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lady Liberty - confused

Thanks for the responses. Since we are traveling with twin teen daughters, I think we will take the trip and stop at Ellis Island. I would like for them to see the statue and the Ellis museum in hopes that it will bring their American history lessons to life. I think we will schedule the earliest trip out there to avoid the crowds later in the day. Anyone have recommendations on the best time to go out there?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lady Liberty - confused

My family went this weekend and despite the TA posts that said stay on the boat and go to EI or see lady liberty from a boat, we did the audio tour at LI and thought it was great. Lot['s to learn about the area, island and construction from the visit, likely not a perspective you can get from a boat view. Actually found this as interesting as EI.