We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help With Itinerary

Michigan
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help With Itinerary

Here is the first draft of our itinerary. I would appreciate any expert advice as we are uncertain on travel times etc. I used Hop Stop app to estimate travel time.

Trip includes myself (old ankle injury and doesn't handle heat well = slow walker), my husband, and my daughter for whom we are celebrating her 21st birthday. Staying in Comfort Inn LIC with an unlimited metro card.

Wednesday - arrive Laguardia 5pm.

Get a car service to hotel

Ck in to our room and take subway to Macy's Herald Sq

(my daughter was given a $50 gift card)

Arrive Macy's 8p (they close at 9:30)

Walk around Time Sq and find some FOOD

*** looking for food & kareoke suggestions in this area?

Midnight - find a club for a birthday toast *** suggestions?

Back to hotel

Thursday

8am - leave hotel

9am - Top Of The Rock

10am - Noon Browsing Tiffanys, surrounding shops on way to lunch

Noon - Lunch at Serendipity 3 Cafe

1:30pm - The Metropolitan Museum of Art

4:45pm - Head to hotel to change and drop off purchases

5:30pm - Arrive Hotel

6:00pm - Leave Hotel

7:00pm - Arrive in vincinity of Sleep No More (***quick bite where?)

7:30-10pm - Sleep No More

Friday

8am - Leave Hotel

9am - Century 21 in Financial district

10:20am - Bodies Exhibit

11:30am - New York Water Taxi Hop On/Off

12:30am - Hop off Greenwich Village - Walk Greenwich, Little Italy, and if time Chinatown before heading back to hotel at 3pm

3:45pm - Arrive back to hotel, change clothes

4:15pm - Leave Hotel

5:00pm - Dinner at Ellen's Stardust Diner

7:15pm - Arrive Majestic Theatre for Phantom of the Opera

Saturday -

10am - leave hotel for Hoboken

12-2pm - Cake Decorating class with the Cake Boss

3pm - back in Time Square *** Where to get food ???

4pm - Madame Tussauds

5:30pm - Grand Central Terminal ***maybe eat somewhere ???

7pm - Arrive at hotel to change

7:30pm Leave Hotel for Waldorf Astoria

9pm Chamber Magic with Steve Cohen at the Waldorf

Followed by Empire State Building for night view and back to hotel

Sunday -

Pack and store luggage with hotel clerk

10am - leave hotel

11am to 5:30pm - A Day in Central Park

Lunch at the Boathouse

Row Boat, explore park

5:30p - head back to hotel

6:30pm - pick up bags and call car service

7:30pm - arrive Laguardia

I feel like we need some alterations - this is roughly what she wants to do. Advice appreciated. I feel like we are spending too much time traveling.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help With Itinerary

I feel like you're overorganised. It's good to know where you wanna go throughout but for me, half the fun is just wandering aimlessly and finding amazing things on the way.

Also, I personally don't see the appeal of Madame Tussauds.

Michigan
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help With Itinerary

You are right I'm sure - Ive been accused of such before :) I tried to schedule aimless wandering - 2hrs on Friday 3hrs on Saturday and roughly Sunday which can be a lazy day in the park or picking up something we want to explore more. Personally I could stay in the Met for four days - and my daughter wants an hour for the wax people, who am I to deny?

Radio City Music Hall tour and the Museum of Natural History were scrapped for wandering te shops and Burroughs.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help With Itinerary

Ahh well, it is her birthday so then go for it.

I guess the only "negative" with your itinerary is you'll most likely stumble across things, and won't have time to see them... This will force you to return!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help With Itinerary

Not sure why you are going back and forth to hotel to change every day. If it is because of shopping I would put Century 21 at the end of your day not the beginning. Also, you will see TS after your show. I would eat in Koreatown after Macy's and I believe they have Kareoke bars there although I have never been.

Alabama
Level Contributor
931 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help With Itinerary

Well, my 18 yr. old daughter wants photos with the "wax people" too, but she is going to fight her fear of heights to do the ESB and TOTR with me. Give a little; get a little!

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help With Itinerary

You said - "Staying in Comfort Inn LIC with an unlimited metro card."

I tend to read things literally and don't assume anything, so I just want to make sure that you understand that each person must have his/her own unlimited metro card for use on the subways and buses. One card cannot be shared.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help With Itinerary

I like Karaoke Duet: http://karaokeduet.com/

However, this is not Americanized karaoke in that you will need to rent a private room for your party only. I don't know of any karaoke places in the city of the sort you're probably imagining (the type found on cruise ships with a room full of strangers).

Also, Sleep No More is a terrible idea for you, given your ankle injury. You need to RUN up and down stairs in the dark and the action will not wait for you to catch up.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 14:43
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help With Itinerary

Lunch at Serendipity..You have an hour and a half scheduled..I have never been but I am given to understand that you could easily stand in line waiting for a table for an hour and a half..

Ellen's is a big tourist trap and not a very good one (there are some I like..lol). The singing wait staff is a novelty, for sure, but I wouldn't waste a whole meal there,esp. not dinner!The food is mediocre at best. Maybe dessert or breakfast

There is a decent food court at Grand Central Terminal. Not much in the way of good food in TS..John's Pizza..Virgils BBQ and Blue Fin are the only places I would go

I think you will have a marvelous time but I also think you will find that being non-scheduled is just as much fun..

Michigan
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help With Itinerary

We each have our own Metro card :) And Sleep No More is for my daughter, for her birthday. I will survive the steps. :) We have a reservation for Serendipity 3, so it shouldn't be a long wait for us.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 14:52
Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help With Itinerary

I guess I'm also just surprised that your daughter would want to see a show that portrays graphic sexual situations including full nudity that also involves running, pushing, and being grabbed by cast members with her parents.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 15:01