We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC bicycling!

cornwal
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
NYC bicycling!

Ok just got back from a few days bicycling in NYC. What a blast to bike downtown in the big apple. This is a must do for people. Load up your bike, grab a cheap hotel in fort lee, NJ. A quick ride over the George Washington bridge and it's biking heaven. The Hudson greenway is fantastic. There are also dedicated bike lanes going down the center of town right through time square, how great is that!

Just do it!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC bicycling!

Isn't the ride across the GWB a great spin !

Over the past years, NYC is getting more and more bike friendly. There are new lanes for travel, and folks do seem to be getting the idea. I have often rode on the West Side pathway, but like to do it early in the day before it gets overwhelmed.

I do have some Brooklyn rides that folks may like. Both start at Grand Army Plaza at Prospect Park. One heads down to Coney island or Riis Park if you are feeling ambitious. The other goes to Williamsburg and the Brooklyn Flea. Both are on bike paths either all or most of the way. If you want more information - drop me a PM

Remember - biking in NYC is NOT like biking on a country lane. The are areas where you will be part of traffic and you must feel comfortable dealing with taxis, buses and heedless pedestrians with ibuds. Stop at lights. Wear a helmet. Signal. Bike Safe.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC bicycling!

Hola.

For visitors and locals interested in biking through NYC, there is a new program --Citi Bike Share—that is due to start in July. Annual, weekly and even daily memberships are planned and will enable folks to pick-up and drop-off a safe and sturdy bike at any one of 600 stations throughout the City. For more information, see:

http://a841-tfpweb.nyc.gov/bikeshare/

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC bicycling!

Glad you enjoyed biking in Hudson River Park! I think it's one of the greatest places in the city (although I usually rollerblade instead of bike). Don't know about the bridge, though . . .

Someday we will be able to go all around the island without being in traffic.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC bicycling!

Hola.

We heartedly agree with Mel...the view from the GWB is one of the best in the City whether walking or biking. For more information about access, see:

panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/gwb-pedestian-bic…

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

5. Re: NYC bicycling!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 16:17