We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any clue about "Residences at 58th Street & 5th Avenue"?

São Paulo, São...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Any clue about "Residences at 58th Street & 5th Avenue"?

Hello,

I'd like to know if someone has any info about the aforementioned hotel/residence. This is the hotel's page at booking.com:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/residences-at-58th-and-5th.pt-br.html?sid=28b9eda4b2faf3b26eafe019e5b499df;dcid=1

We've been looking for a place for two adults and two children, with kitchen, close to Central Park. There are few options within these requirements, and this one seemed perfect for our needs. The photos, location and prices of this room are really cool.

It looks like a new facility. It is listed in Booking.com and several other websites, but I could not find any user's reviews on the web, what made me a bit unsure about the deal. Is it risky to rent a room like this at the heart of Manhattan?

Any clue would be appreciated, even a small comment, such as "yes, this place exists".

Thanks

São Paulo, São...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Any clue about "Residences at 58th Street & 5th Avenue"?

Sorry, I did not realize it was an official document about the specific building. Thank you BrooklynBrdge for the help. I'll see what I can get and then write back.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Any clue about "Residences at 58th Street & 5th Avenue"?

Keep in mind that a complaint on the Department of Buildings holds no value; unless there is an investigated and a violation is served.

ANYONE can call in a complaint on ANY building in NY. ALL complaints have to be listed on the Department of Buildings website if it is true or not.

So do not believe any complaint on the Department of Buildings website. Unless it is followed up with an investigation and a violation served on that complaint.

Edited: 31 May 2012, 03:54
São Paulo, São...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Any clue about "Residences at 58th Street & 5th Avenue"?

After pointing this thread and the link to the Building Dept. to Booking.com, they said the owner agreed to cancel our reservation without any charge.

We checked all your suggestions, but they are either beyond our budget or did not have vacancy. We ended up renting a concierge room in Park Central. No kitchen, but close to the park.

Thanks for potentially getting us out of trouble.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Any clue about "Residences at 58th Street & 5th Avenue"?

...sorry, it was a stupid question after misreading Park Central for Central Park ^_^

Edited: 02 June 2012, 09:09
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Any clue about "Residences at 58th Street & 5th Avenue"?

If you paid by credit card just contact your credit card company and tell them you dispute the charge----better that they chase you for money than the other way around..... you don't need to prove anything to anybody at this point.

Booking.com will tell you anything to keep the reservation--- don't listen to someone who is going to make money off of your decision

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
6 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Any clue about "Residences at 58th Street & 5th Avenue"?

What did you do about the reservation? I made one last month and now i read all this.

When are you going? did you cancelled?

There are two post in the web site

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/residences-at-58th-and-5th.es.html?sid=4d77427a651305bcbf7efa3fa3828e84;dcid=1#hash-blockdisplay4

If you find out something else, please tell me

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Any clue about "Residences at 58th Street & 5th Avenue"?

If you mean you booked at the residences on 5th ave and 58th you run the risk of not being allowed entry or being evicted--- you are much better off with a legitimate hotel- The laws in NYC are strange and strict here but that said I would not rely solely on the postings on TA since you do not know if what they say is 100% right--- I am not as confident that when people say everything is illegal that it really is HOWEVER what I do know for a fact is that there are a lot of internet scams out there and again your money is at risk. It is for this reason that I always recommend people do not do it

São Paulo, São...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Any clue about "Residences at 58th Street & 5th Avenue"?

Just to give you a follow-up, as I said before we cancelled our reservation and had a very hard time trying to get refunded. Eventually we got it, after almost one month, several emails and phone calls, thanks to the intervention of Booking.com. I'm afraid we would never get it if we had booked directly with the "residence" staff.

This prohibition of renting residential apartments in NY should be better publicized. Most travel agents with whom I spoke did not know it.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Any clue about "Residences at 58th Street & 5th Avenue"?

It think it's a residential building with many part time rental apts. I don't know if illegal.

I stayed there through booking.com for a week on may 2012.

I had no problems.

20. Re: Any clue about "Residences at 58th Street & 5th Avenue"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 07:16