We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Type of Winter Coat Needed for NYC during Christmas?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Type of Winter Coat Needed for NYC during Christmas?

Could anybody please tell me if a regular winter coat, layered with sweaters underneath, thermals, and the right accessories - scarves, beanies, gloves etc, will suffice during Christmas week in NYC??

We'll be sightseeing most of the time, so will be spending considerable time outdoors, walking around, exploring etc.

We've been told by a friend we need to bring down coats with us, which we can only get here from specialized camping stores for around $300-400. But I really want to avoid that option for two reasons: Apart from that one week in NYC, we're never going to use thick coats like that again so it'd be a waste of money, and they're really heavy and thick, so will take up a lot of weight and room in our luggage.

We're travelling all around the US and going to the Carribbean, so need to pack for two extremes - sunny, summery weather, and cold, winter clothing. This is going to be an absolutely pain,as it means we need to double up on clothing as well as the fact that it leaves much less room for all the shopping we plan on doing!

But at the same time, I don't want to get to NYC and find that we were completely unprepared for our weather and our winter clothes are insufficient in keeping us warm.

Advice anyone? How cold does it get during Mid-December?? Will normal winter coats (knee length/woolen) be sufficient?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Type of Winter Coat Needed for NYC during Christmas?

Sometimes it's cold, sometimes it's not. We had a 60 degree day on our last visit followed by an ice storm. Layers!!!! And comfortable shoes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
848 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Type of Winter Coat Needed for NYC during Christmas?

To me, that makes it sound like they are not allowed to rent the apartments to tourists but they do so anyway.

They are telling you not to make noise because then the real residents may notice you're there, get annoyed, make a complaint and result in you being evicted (you may or may not be able to get your belongings back) because you're not allowed to be there in the first place. Your confidence is irrelevant.

Seriously, there's so many affordable options available. I don't know why you would even bother. I'm probably the queen of budget travelling and I managed to spend an average of $160/night during our last trip in September (a peak time) to NY, DC and Vegas and that was for 4 and 5 star hotels. It can be done.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 02:27
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Type of Winter Coat Needed for NYC during Christmas?

Clearly there's been a problem with illegal rentals in this bldg or they wouldn't have put that in your contract. That means they are already on the 'radar' and that is never good.

So, you are not only dealing with the NYC law that tells owners that renting out their apt for less than 30 days is illegal (with a few exceptions - needle in a haystack). In addition, you are also dealing with the 'rules' of each individual bldg.

If you have already sent a deposit I would let them know that you've discovered that they are breaking the renting for less than 30-day rental law of NYC and if they don't refund your money you will report them. Hopefully, you did this with a credit card so that you can dispute the charge. So if the apartment won't refund the money you will hopefully get it back with a dispute with your card company.

new york
Level Contributor
949 posts
1,131 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Type of Winter Coat Needed for NYC during Christmas?

Worry not if worst comes to worse, the street vendors have gloves, ear warmers and unmbrellas (the secondi t rains) for $5 there are inexpensive stores even thrift shops so you can augment down coats vary in warmth but the super super up to minus 30 Fahrenheit will just get in your way layers are just right. a polar fleece layer vest can be warma nd leight weight for instance with a coat or wool layer what most people forget is other places you dash into the car and out here you may be walking a bit outside.

figure it will be 30 degrees Fahrenheit good walking shoes or trainers that won't get ruined in rain are the Most Important Thing I don't know how women tourists do it in heels or sandals really. If you have a small child, he or she will need a stroller really you know hwo kids who normallyd on't do strollers need them in disney world--same here the othe wquestion is if you like to check coats--I don't because getting out of a museum can then entail a line so thing of things you can stuff in your backpack, tie around your waist etc

Sunny Coast
6 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Type of Winter Coat Needed for NYC during Christmas?

I am also spending 2 weeks over Xmas in NYC but flying out from 30+C QLD....I say invest in good thermals, you will be surprised how handy they are when travelling in hot or cold climates. Lightweight fine merino or even wool, (which you can buy in Aus from most DFO outlets: SYD/BRIS/MELB airports or on sale at DJ's/MYER's). Definitely warm, rain proof comfortable footwear. You will be doing a lot of outdoor walking & the winds off the river at that time of year can be brutal. Take a small hat/beret that can be stuffed into your a coat pocket with your gloves when indoors. My 2 teen sons will wear their merino long johns under their jeans (if needed), I prefer my wool tights. We all have 'Icebreaker' (NZ brand) long sleeve thermals which claim to be worn "anti bacterial/stink free unwashed" for 2 weeks straight....we shall see!!! I love the donate your jacket idea...you could always buy a 2nd hand coat from an OP shop (St Vinnies, Salvos etc) in SYD & donate it in NYC?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Type of Winter Coat Needed for NYC during Christmas?

I don't get "thermals" long underwear - NYC isn't the Arctic Circle - temps in the 30's F - not 30 below!

I know you come from a warm climate - well, I just am astonished by people wearing long-johns in this climate.

I can see if you were going to be out of doors continuously for several hours, but sightseeing in and out of warm buildings I think you will be overly warm and uncomfortable.

Just my thoughts on the subject!

Poppa

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Type of Winter Coat Needed for NYC during Christmas?

@Poppa - it's the "in and out of warm buildings" that actually causes illness and is the need for layers so your body can remain a constant temperature while going in and out. When I was in NYC in November 2010, outside was 40-50 F but inside was 75-85 F. That's not good for the body. I was sick within two days, even with taking layers off and putting them back on.

However, I do completely agree that thermals might be overkill and I would recommend the OP to wear layers over underwear. Singlet, long/short tshirt, cardigan, jumper, coat, scaves, gloves. All of this stuff can be used throughout the rest of your trip too, just as less layers.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
242 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Type of Winter Coat Needed for NYC during Christmas?

When I visited Manhattan for half a day in early December 2009 (I was staying in Oceanside for a family wedding and had VERY limited time) I didn't even wear a coat! I wore a sweatshirt because it wasn't as cold as I thought it would be (plus I am from Toronto, so I know cold winters!). I also knew we were going to be in crowds, which is very insulating :)

I found that I was totally fine wearing the sweatshirt with no winter coat. At one point, I even took it off and just wore the long sleeve t-shirt I had because we were warm amongst the Christmas shopping crowds.

Edited: 10 June 2012, 05:30
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Type of Winter Coat Needed for NYC during Christmas?

@Laur0406 I want to compare this with Robin from HIMYM. But you are right. There was one day in my stay that I mentioned before where a coat was not needed, mostly because of lack of wind.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,828 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Type of Winter Coat Needed for NYC during Christmas?

poppa- i could have well done with some thermals when we were in NY in April- we were so freezing cold- especially whilst on walking tours