We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers in NYC

Clermont, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
First timers in NYC

Hey there.

I'm new to TripAdvisor and even forums for that matter. But I'm planning my honeymoon and decided New York would be good. We have friends that live there and we both love broadway shows. But most of all, because it would be cheaper than going to Europe and I'd like to have some money left over in savings when starting a marriage.

Unfortunately, I have very little knowledge about what to do while in New York. I just recently read online about the New York Pass. I thought it sounded like a pretty sweet deal. A lot of what the pass covers are things we wanted to do. But are there any little known attractions or restaurants around NYC that we should check out?

What else is there to do other than the "typical" touristy things?

About how much money should we carry?

Would cash be better than a debit/credit card?

Does anyone know of some nice hotels at a fair price? Perhaps near Broadway?

Anyone know of ways to get discounted tickets for Broadway shows?

We will be going for 5 or 6 days next April.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Night Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers in NYC

Well, you've come to the right place!

I would start by looking at the other posts on the forum. You can do a search for specific topics by using the search feature at the top of the page.

Reading trip reports is a good way to see what other people have enjoyed on their visits.

A lot of what you're asking can be found just by having a look around. Other questions ("how much money should we carry?") are impossible to answer.

Hotel information is very hard to answer. No one knows what you mean by a "fair price". As your trip gets a bit closer you would want to post your budget in US dollars per night, and the exact dates of your visit. Hopefully by then you will have had a good chance to look around and narrow your search down to a few specific hotels.

Williamston...
Level Contributor
860 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers in NYC

If you look at the column to the right of the page that says "Top Questions About New York City", you'll see the topic of discount tickets for Broadway shows addressed.

As for how much cash to carry, I feel this is becoming a cashless society, so not much cash is needed. I would just carry enough to cover small things like tips, cab fare, subway passes, small spur of the moment purchases.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers in NYC

Welcome and congratulations! Check the top questions and itineraries on the right side of the forum. Read the forum at least 10 pages back to get info on what there is to do and see. I started planning my first trip to NYC about a month ago and have read back 30 pages in posts (yep a bit obsessive I am, lol). You will find answers to most of your questions. And enjoy the forum for what it is...a great group of locals that will keep you on your toes (and I mean that in a good way, lol)

What is your budget for hotel? Fair price means nothing. Do not consider apartment rentals no matter how great the deal looks...again read the top questions.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers in NYC

Mazel tov on your wedding!

Now, to your questins - Many people are of the opinion thatpasses of the sort you are considering are not really worth it, as you feel obliged to do what the pass includes, whether you want to or not, just to make it "worth it" -- which means that you don't have time for other things you would want to see, and in addition some of the things the passes include are actually cheaper if you get them on their own.

As for what ther is to see or do in New York, the list is endless. Go and get some guidebooks at your local bookstore and public library, and read up on the city that is the center of art, theater, culture, fashioni, and finance for America (and in many instances, the entire world.) You may find that some things that are famous appeal to you, while others do not, and you will also learn about some other attractions that would be "must sees" in smaller towns, but which get swamped by the variety of New York -- but which you will want to visit.

Note that "Broadway" is not a place; it is instead a 40-mile-long road, the first 13 miles of which run the entire length of Manhattan Island. In addition, to call a theater a "Broadway" theater does not mean it is on Broadway (because all most no Broadway theaters are), but instead means it has 500 or more seats.

Broadwaybox.com is one place to look for discount tickets; also read up on the TKTS booths.

Because the subway can take you anywhere in minutes, it isn't really necessary to stay at a hotel within walking distance of this sight or that -- you should instead look for a hotel with good subway access, which puts the whole city at your doorstep.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers in NYC

Oh GWB - it gives me schpilkes when you talk Yiddish.

Any guidebook, and common knowledge, will tell you the usual tourist sites. Top of the Rock, The Brooklyn Bridge, The MET, Central Park, the Statue of Liberty etc. But as you say, the less typical tourist things are often the best. For that, I would suggest leaving your guidebook behind and visiting a neighborhood. Places like Greenwich Village, Park Slope and Williamsburg come to mind.

NYC does have its hidden gems. Places like Wave Hill in the Bronx, the Cloisters in upper Manhattan or Count Basie's house in Queens. In the Summer, the free ferry to Governor's Island is great.

One thing that you can do is attempt to get a Big Apple Greeter. This is a free program [though we can certainly use donations] which pairs visitors with NYers for neighborhood walks. Here is our web site: www.bigapplegreeter.org

To answer some of your questions - lodging is quite expensive in NYC, but after a room is found, you can do things on the cheap. Check out places in Park Slope like Holiday Inn Express on Union Street or Super 8 on Third Ave. TheSheraton on Duffield Street in Downtown Bk also seems to be having deals. There are also places in Long Island City that are less expensive.

I never walk around with a lot of money. There are literally ATMs on every corner. Every little deli and bodega seems to have one. ATM fees generally hover between $2 and $3. $100 in folding money seems to be appropriate.

For discount Broadway and off-Broadway shows - head to the TKTS booth. There is one in Midtown, one at the Seaport, but the one with the fewest lines is in the Metrotech Center in Downtown Brooklyn.

Congrats - and have fun planning.

6. Re: First timers in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:16