We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Apple Greeters

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
135 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Big Apple Greeters

Hi! we´re travelling to NY in September. BAG offers lots of tours but I don´t know which to choose because this will be our first time there. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Apple Greeters

Your guides are volunteers who guide when they choose to do so. You are not guaranteed a tour, so I would not fuss over which to choose. My advice is to hedge your bets and select 'greeters choice'.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
135 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Apple Greeters

Thanks a lot!!!!

Regards from Argentina!!!

Andrea : ))

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Apple Greeters

I am a Big Apple Greeter. And yesterday I walked with a great German guy through Prospect Park, Park Slope, Fort Green and the Brooklyn Flea. Here is how the program works.

First, we are not licensed tour guides and we do not give tours. What we do is pair you group [under six people] with a New Yorker who will take you on a walk through a neighborhood. You can suggest an area that fascinates you - or you can just say "Greeters Choice." Our walks usually take you away from the normal tourist sites and show you "our" New York. Or in my case - Brooklyn.

Every Wednesday, the Greeters get a list of potential walks, and we can choose from the list. We see your names, where you are from,where you are staying, where you want to go, and how many people are in the group. We then call in and see if the walk is available. If you are selected, you will get an email from BAG, and likely one from the greeter as well.

Although there is no advertisement at all, the BAG service is very popular, and there are a limited number of volunteers for every weekend. While we would love to match everyone, it is just not possible, so that your registering is not a guarantee that you will get a greeter.

The BAG is a free service, but we are supported by contributions. So, many visitors do contribute to the organization to allow us to continue. Of course, million dollar grants are accepted as well. Anyone know of any?

All in all, this is a great service, and if you are lucky to get a greeter, you will likely have a great time. I know that I do.

Mentioned in this post
Big Apple Greeter
Big Apple Greeter
709 Reviews
New York City, NY
Prospect Park
Prospect Park
1,169 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Park Slope
Park Slope
462 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
The Brooklyn
The Brooklyn
300 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Apple Greeters

Mels is an excellent post - I would pick "Greeters Choice " as an area

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
135 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Apple Greeters

Thanks a lot, Brooklyn Mel!!!

I´ve seen your name lots of times, here in Trip Advisor.

I´d love to walk around Brooklyn!!

Look forward to walking with you!!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Apple Greeters

I have often heard people say to put greeters choice. I am not certain if that is the best strategy. One of the things that I look for when choosing someone to walk is folks who put down BROOKLYN. On the other hand, I normally pass by those who put down GREENWICH VILLAGE, as I think that the area is so popular that another greeter will snap it up.

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,494 Reviews
New York City, NY
Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Apple Greeters

I sent an application yesterday for a Big Apple Greeter after reading reviews here in the forum. A very nice lady called me today to let me know that unfortunately she did not have any greeters available next week due to such short notice of requesting one. She was so nice and apologetic, but I told her I fully understood. Wish I had known about BAG much sooner so I could have been assigned a greeter. However, I have booked several tours via Free Tours by Foot which I also received info about via this forum. Many thanks to all the NYC experts who have offered advice and suggestions for my upcoming visit. Just 1 more week, and I will be on my way to NYC.

Mentioned in this post
Big Apple Greeter
Big Apple Greeter
709 Reviews
New York City, NY
Free Tours by Foot
Free Tours by Foot
6,208 Reviews
New York City, NY
8. Re: Big Apple Greeters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 20:15