We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should 4 Aussies do on our first night in NYC?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
What should 4 Aussies do on our first night in NYC?

Hi, just starting to plan our 3 week trip to USA in August and our first stop is NYC for 4 days before a California Road trip.

We land about 5:30pm after about a 22hour day of travel from Australia - will be tired no doubt, but in the case we don't want to spend the whole night in our rooms, I'd like an idea on how to spend the first night.

What would you suggest we do? We are 2 married couples, late 20s/early 30s, staying at Empire Hotel.

My thought at this stage is to walk to Times Sq, dinner, and go to Empire State buiding or Top of the Rock for view and walk around Times Sq. How does this sound? Would love to know how you'd spend it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should 4 Aussies do on our first night in NYC?

In terms of TOTR and ESB, do you want to do both or one? If both, then going up one of them on your first night is definitely viable, but remember that yes you probably will be very tired. You could try and get up there before sunset and be up there for it, but that will involve more of a queue than normal. If you only want to do one I would suggest saving it until daylight. It's also good to do it after a few days there because then you can try and pinpoint places you've been! I also suggest doing the Top Of The Rock instead of ESB.

Times Square is a good first thing to see. There are clothes shops around there to entertain you for awhile too.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should 4 Aussies do on our first night in NYC?

Don't go to TOTR when it's dark. It has an incredible view of Central Park which, if you go up at night, will just be a giant black square.

I think Times Square and ESB is a great idea for the first night if you're not too tired :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should 4 Aussies do on our first night in NYC?

Thank you for the quick replies, much appreciated! Nice to hear from some fellow Aussies :-)

I think we'll do both, one at night, one during the day - thanks for your advice about which to do. I think we'll do ESB the first night and then TOTR during the day after we've been a few places.

Is there a lot to do at night in terms of shopping, massages, entertainment so we can leave the days for sightseeing?

Just as a side thing and by no means necessary to answer, but any advice you would offer from experience?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What should 4 Aussies do on our first night in NYC?

There is heaps to do at night! Shops are open late, Broadway shows, comedy clubs, bars and restaurants, movies, sporting events...and there may be other specific events on when you're there. I was there in November but as you're going in warmer weather, there may be things on in Central Park, night markets or stalls etc at night too.

People are out and about all night, and the streets and subway are very safe. You definately won't find yourself struggling with things to do!

Edited: 03 June 2012, 10:06
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What should 4 Aussies do on our first night in NYC?

I enjoyed ToTR at night....but all I do on arrival is get something to eat, preferably a take away.. eat it on a spot that I like and then crash pretty early....next day, it's full throttle for me...not so much my arrival day..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What should 4 Aussies do on our first night in NYC?

walk around Greenwich Village....it is SO exciting there, so different to anything 'we' know. find a great place to eat, see some 'stand-up.......oh, i am so so jealous!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What should 4 Aussies do on our first night in NYC?

Hi Max, is Greenwich Village far from Empire Hotel? (Lincoln Centre). I don't think we want to venture too far on our first night.

Meyem, I could very well be doing just that (!) but nice to know we have a plan if go "what now?!" when we arrive.

I have also posted one more forum question which I'd love your advice on as fellow travellers to NY - it's in regards to the NY City Pass vs pay as you go. If you have experience here it'd be appreciated. Link below.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5470…

Many thanks everyone!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What should 4 Aussies do on our first night in NYC?

sorry, meant to say Maz above :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What should 4 Aussies do on our first night in NYC?

>> is Greenwich Village far from Empire Hotel? <<

To walk, yes. And I say this with the best of intentions, if you do not already know the answer to this then you had better start studying a map soon.

By this time you get to the hotel, you will be right on time for dinner. If you choose to eat in Times Square, you will miss the theatre crowds.

There are loads of restaurants in the area - some good, others not so. I would suggest you go back through some threads to find out people's opinions and suggestions of eating in TS, have a list and then see what you feel like at the time.

During your trip, I would highly recommend you head over to the Met Opera at the Lincoln Center at night and see the beautiful Chagall murals in the foyer. I am not sure if they are always lit at night or only if there's a performance on though. Perhaps one of the regulars will know.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What should 4 Aussies do on our first night in NYC?

I didn't even stop to think about that- just as I never really thought about it in the two weeks we spent in NY - we went from one end to the other in a morning, if the fancy took us - (a LOT of trips up and down on the subway and that was fun in itself LOL) -

but, i agree you may be wiped out by the time you arrive even with all the adrenalin pumping.