We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

**Draft itinerary** Please review!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
**Draft itinerary** Please review!

Hi from Australia!

First time in NY for 4.5 days with 3 friends and staying in Times Square. Please take a look at my draft itinerary and give me your input.. all suggestions and criticism welcome!!

Mon 27 Aug

Arrive at JFK at 8am (fly in from SF)

Lunch suggestions?

Wander around Times Square / Shop at Macys, Saks, 5th Avenue

Pre-theatre dinner suggestions?? Maybe tapas?

Lion King show at 8pm

Tues 28 Aug

American Museum of Natural History or MoMa?

Explore Central Park

ESB / Rockefeller centre / TOTR at sunset

Enjoy a nice dinner, maybe Gotham Bar& Grill or Momofuku ?

Go for drinks at a bar if time permits

Weds 29 Aug

9/11 Memorial tour @ 10am

Take the free Staten Island Ferry and see Statue of Liberty

Battery Park / Wall Street / Century 21

Subway to Brooklyn and explore - walk bridge back to Manhattan

Dinner at Blue Smoke BBQ

Thurs 30 Aug

Grand Central Station

Take train to Flushing for US Open (all day !)

Dinner suggestions??

Fri 1 Sept

Breakfast –Ess-a-bagel on 3rd Avenue?

Free & easy morning

Depart flight 1.30pm

I would also like to eat at these places but not sure where to fit it in??

-Kat’z deli

-Luke Lobsters

-One of the Pizza joints

-Junior’s cheesecake or Serendipity 3

Looking fwd to everyone's thoughts. Thanks in advance!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: **Draft itinerary** Please review!

"American Museum of Natural History or MoMa? / Explore Central Park"

You can easily spend more than a day in each of these places. Keep that in mind!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: **Draft itinerary** Please review!

Hi Jarks37 (fellow melbournian!)

Thanks for your reply but I have no idea how much time should be spent at each and we may even give the museum a miss. As for Central Park, the boys don't want to spend more than a few hours there! :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,519 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: **Draft itinerary** Please review!

I would try and go to Century 21 after you have walked the Brooklyn Bridge to save lugging any purchases around.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,559 Reviews
New York City, NY
Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: **Draft itinerary** Please review!

>>Mon 27 Aug Lion King show at 8pm<<

According to Playbill.com The Lion King doesn't perform on Mondays.

(I probably wouldn't plan to go to a Broadway show right after arriving on an international flight, anyway......)

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: **Draft itinerary** Please review!

Arriving JFK at 8AM from San Francisco? On a red eye?

You are going to need a nap before you go to theatre. I would pick a ifferent night

How about Virgils for lunch?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,678 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: **Draft itinerary** Please review!

I suggest looking at the websites of the two different museums as they offer completely different types of art/exhibits - the websites will show you want they have on.

Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: **Draft itinerary** Please review!

The amount of time you spend in Central Park will depend on the weather.

We had a really nice long walk through Central Park and explored it on the way to the Met. Then we took the subway to Grand Central - picked up cheesecake at Juniors.

On another day we also visited the Natural History museum (took about 2 hrs), picked up some really nice lunch at the Muffin Shop Cafe and ate it in the park, followed by a walk through the park. We were finished doing both by 2pm, so plenty of time to head down 5th Ave from there. Rockerfeller is about half way down so could combine with TOTR.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: **Draft itinerary** Please review!

For your Tue 28th:

MoMA or Museum of Natural History: If you're interested in modern art, MoMA. I love MoMA but if you're in town for just 4.5 days, I'd suggest the Museum of Natural History as it's a world class museum and fits better into your itinerary. For that day, you could have brunch at Nice Matin or Cafe Lalo (the restaurant where they shot 'You've Got Mail') then walk to the museum.

At the museum, just choose 3-4 exhibits you'd really like to see. Don't miss the hall of human origins or the dinosaurs - the museum has some of the most coveted pieces here.

Come out of the museum and you're right across the street from Central Park. Make your way to Bethesda Fountain in the park, go down the Literary Walk, and continue on till you get to 59th street at 5th ave. Walk down the gorgeous 5th avenue till you hit Rockefeller Center. Stop in everywhere you like along the way: Bergdorf's, Saks, TIffany, Cartier (go to the back of the store, past the engagement rings and then on the left where the big bling is - you have to see it to believe it), LV, etc.

Stop at a bar, have a drink and eat somewhere in Gramercy or Murray Hill (not sure what kind of food you like or I would suggest something). I highly recommend going to the Empire State building after dinner. If i'm not mistaken, it's open till 1 am - and the later you go, the better. During the day, you could spend hours in line.

This is more than enough for one day. And you spend minimal time getting from place to place since you're working your way from one end of the city, along a path, to the other.

My two cents - skip Brooklyn for this trip. Explore the East Village instead. Momofuku is in the East Village. As are any number of stellar bars and restaurants. And give yourselves plenty of time to wander there.

Have a wonderful trip!

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,057 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: **Draft itinerary** Please review!

I agree w/traveling guy - you will have been awake for many hours - and sleeping through a show that you have paid a lot of money for, well figure it out.

As mentioned - LK does not have Monday performances unless you have some secret access!

With such a short time here - I too would skip B'klyn.

Poppa

Rock Hill, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: **Draft itinerary** Please review!

skip Brooklyn , honestly , no joke , people from Brooklyn skip Brooklyn head toward Chelsea Piers and walk the Highline instead ( West 14th to 34th on 10th Ave). .

Walking tip : Street to street is shorter than Ave to Ave . that being said don't try to do too much , walking 5-7 miles a days is tough if it is not something you normally do .

Save MoMa for more relaxed Iteniery . Nat hist is way cooler for kids ( I think you mentioned kids ?? )

Views: Top of the Rock is cheaoer than the ESB and the views are of Times Square . ESB is romantic at night but kids find it boring at night .( for the price) I confirm , fewer lines at night reread---. Fewer lines not no lines , I waited 45 mins in line at 12:30 am last friday night. Where to eat....Oh my so many . You'll find and make your own favorites .