We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day apartment rental or hotel with decent sized suite room

Michigan
Level Contributor
690 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
3 day apartment rental or hotel with decent sized suite room

My wife and two teen kids and I will be in NYC from Aug 16-19 and still need to nail down accommodations. I've looked into short-term apartment rentals (VRBO, Homeaway,etc.), but because our plans came together late there is not too much available. The other option we're considering would be a hotel that has larger suite rooms. (This is the last leg of a New England trip and I want us to have some room to spread out.) We are looking in the mid-town area, but can be somewhat flexible.

Am I asking too much this late in the game or does anyone have some suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Dave

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day apartment rental or hotel with decent sized suite room

As is stated on these boards daily, almost all short term apartment rentals in NYC are illegal--even if they're on VRBO or Homeaway, both of which I've used successfully in other locations.

Recommended apartment style hotels include Radio City Apartments, Doubletree, Affinia Group, Beacon.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
707 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day apartment rental or hotel with decent sized suite room

Try either the Affinia group or Milburn. We have stayed with two teens in the 1-BR suites at the Affinia 50 and Affinia Dumont (both in the Murray Hill section of midtown) and at the Milburn (upper west side just off Broadway). Suites at both have very large living rooms and kitchenette. They have pullout sofa-beds and you could also get rollaways, although we bring air mattresses for the teens since we think they are more comfortable. On our past few trips we have found the Milburn to be priced better than the Affinias so we have been staying there. Great location, two blocks to subway, walking distance to Central Park and a ton of great restaurants. They also have free continental breakfast (cold cereal and bagels) although we like to go out for something more substantial. Also, since it's on a residential side street, we have been lucky enough to find street parking and save about $50 per night that a garage would cost.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day apartment rental or hotel with decent sized suite room

An apartment is not an option. Read this for explanation - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

Check the Affinia properties - www.affinia.com. They have apartment style hotels that will suit your needs for space. Another is Radio City Apartments, which despite the name is a hotel.

Michigan
Level Contributor
690 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day apartment rental or hotel with decent sized suite room

Thanks for the valuable information. Just when I think I'm a well traveled guy the folks at Tripadvisor go ahead and teach me something new.

I'll check into the hotel suggestions. Thanks very much for the help.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day apartment rental or hotel with decent sized suite room

There should be plenty of options assuming your budget is not too limited. If you prefer a 2 bedroom suite, you can find some of those at

beaconhotel.com

Doubletree Guest Suites (but phone or email)

Best Western Hospitality

The Alex Hotel

Affinia Gardens

the Marmara

Many more will have 1 bedroom suites with 2 double or 2 queen beds in the bedroom and a sofabed in the living room.

6. Re: 3 day apartment rental or hotel with decent sized suite room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 00:17