We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Lights Bed and Breakfast

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
City Lights Bed and Breakfast

I was just scammed by these people who claim to be a bed and breakfast registry and are not. I wanted to let others know. We had to call the police and it seems others have been scammed before. The police also knew of them. Has anyone else encountered them, and how can we let others know? I really want to get the word out there. I notice in 2010 some people raised the issue of whether this was a scam, but it is for sure.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,063 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City Lights Bed and Breakfast

What web site did you find them on?

I see one listed on this site for NYS (Upstate in Ithica), and one for New Zeland...

... but no City Lights B&B listed on this site for NYC.

I would go directly to the source/web-site that you initially found them, so others aren't taken advantge of. For example, if they were/are on this site-then posting on their review page would caution more people.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Lights Bed and Breakfast

They have put their own untrue testimonials on. The website is http://www.citylightsnewyork.com/. It looks very impressive. But it was scary. Some one else I know requested info from them, and they sent the same address they had sent us to on Commerce St in Greenwich Village.. When she asked for anything else, they had no pictures of other places, and just sent a poor description of one. I know they are part of the scam as when I requested a refund for my Visa, they wrote a "shouting" letter HERE IS YOUR REFUND!!!!!!!!!

This was a dead give away. Most registries would be a bit apologetic. Also, I phoned them twice to tell them why we had to leave, but they never returned the calls. Most reputable registries would want to know.

Thanks.

3. Re: City Lights Bed and Breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 October 2013, 18:35
Vernon, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: City Lights Bed and Breakfast

We booked thru City Lights B&B and found everything just as they said. Where we stayed in Manhatten, our Host was fabulous, our room was great and the location was perfect. The pictures we looked at before we actually booked, were spot on.

We'd use them again in a heart beat !

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Lights Bed and Breakfast

It is illegal to rent an apartment for less than 30 days in NYC or even pay to stay with someone while they're in their own apartment for less than 30 days. So scam or no scam, the whole practice is illegal. City Lights, Airbnb or anyone else

betabeat.com/2013/…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City Lights Bed and Breakfast

**We booked thru City Lights B&B and found everything just as they said. Where we stayed in Manhatten, our Host was fabulous, our room was great and the location was perfect. The pictures we looked at before we actually booked, were spot on.

We'd use them again in a heart beat !**

Interesting first post^^.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: City Lights Bed and Breakfast

-eats popcorn as this unfolds-

8. Re: City Lights Bed and Breakfast

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 October 2013, 19:05
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,632 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: City Lights Bed and Breakfast

Matt, no one believes you.

10. Re: City Lights Bed and Breakfast

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:35