We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Patricks Day 2013

Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
St Patricks Day 2013

Hi there,

I am arriving into JFK Saturday 16th March 2013 just in time for St Patricks Day. Im so looking forward to experience New York city St Patricks parade. I have being told that the parade will in fact take place on the 16th and not the 17th of March. I hope that this is not the case as I will probably miss out on some if not all of it. Can somebody tell me when it will take place.

Thanks alot

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,557 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: St Patricks Day 2013

"absaloute disaster will miss the parade"

No, not really. In all honesty I find the parade a bit boring and have only managed to watch maybe 45 minutes of it.

It's mostly politicians and Irish fraternal groups, interspersed with pipe bands. By the time you've seen the 9th politician walk by, waved back at the 3rd "Sons of Roscommon" group, and heard 4 pipe bands...it's time to go!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: St Patricks Day 2013

If you are awake early on the 17th, watch this space for the course map of the NY Half Marathon -- looks like they are having problems trying to figure this one out but it will happen.

www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/nyc-half-2013

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: St Patricks Day 2013

The NYC ST Patrick's Day parade is very different from the one in Dublin - Ireland's is more like Mardi Gras whereas the NYC parade is more about the Irish immigrants. I disagree with the posters who say it's boring, though - it's lovely to see each Irish County march under their banners. And it does have some American touches - different branches of the Armed Forces, the NYPD (police department) and FDNY (fire department) bands (pipers in kilts), and southern college marching bands complete with cheer squads. Plus it's fun to talk to all of the people watching the parade and the street vendors selling the most ridiculous items (amazing what they'll paint green).

For the after party? Most New Yorkers head to the bars on Second Avenue (in the 40's - that's street numbers, not age) but if you're in your early twenties, the NYU/Village area is more your scene - tons of international college students all trying to be Irish for the day. To find a party, just follow the crowd, or sign up online for one of the many pub crawls around the city.

And no, it's not one huge drunken beer blast - you can find some good craic without getting puked on. There's an official NYC Craic Festival that begins a few days beforehand with performers at local venues and Irish movies in Tribeca. A Manhattan Catholic High School (St Regis) hosts a "sober" festival for families. And BB King's jazz club on West 42nd Street usually has an Irish group performing that evening - it's a large old-style dinner club.

Unlike Ireland, pubs in NY close at 4 am, so pace yourself. After that, make like a real New Yawker and head to an all night diner for breakfast. If you still need a brisk wake up to shake off the effects of the alcohol, take a early morning ride after breakfast on the Staten Island ferry (free!) for a sunrise view of the Statue of Liberty (be warned, this is a popular thing to do at 7 am after an all-nighter, so don't be surprised if you have a lot of company!).

Things to check out in addition to the parade - Times Square (duh). The 9/11 site. The Statue of Liberty. Central Park. The view from the top of 30 Rock (better, cheaper, and less crowded, than the top of the Empire State). "Once" on Broadway (get there early - that's a real Irish bar on stage and yes, you can order a pint).. And grab an after-theater snack at Ellen's Stardust DIner on 51st to hear some of the best wannabe Broadway performers sing while you eat.

Enjoy!

Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: St Patricks Day 2013

You will still have a fun time, drop your bags and hit NYC for Post Parade pub crawling. Saturday night in NYC is fun anytime of year, add on Saint Pattys Day it's going to be a bit interesting to say the least. Shame if you miss the parade because it it really is nice but its not a complete loss, I assure. A couple of Irish walking around NYC on Pattys day? You'll do just fine

Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: St Patricks Day 2013

Also if your here the following weekend there are Pattys Parades in nieghborhoods outside Manhattan, The Brooklyn parade is the following weekend.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: St Patricks Day 2013

Just an FYI for everyone going to the parade. This year, for the first time in history, over 150 members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police will be in attendance at the parade with a marching squad and a large contingent from the Pipes and Drums. It'll be hard to miss us.........watch for the red serge tunics! We're all looking forward to coming down for this parade this year!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,557 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: St Patricks Day 2013

"Saint Pattys Day "

No. A thousand times no. There is no "Saint Patty."

http://paddynotpatty.com/

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: St Patricks Day 2013

I appreciate the "no Saint Patty" far more than you could imagine. Hate that term. Saint Paddy if you must, but Saint Patty is very frustrating! That said seeing as we say Paddies Day over here ... Meh!

I'm going over for the parade this year, will be in it actually and very excited; haven't been to NY for Paddies Day before! Was in Vegas a couple years ago for it but that's about it! :)

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: St Patricks Day 2013

The 16th at 11:00 am

Edited: 13 February 2013, 22:49
Ridgefield...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: St Patricks Day 2013

The NYC St. Patricks Day parade is always on March 17th EXCEPT when the 17th falls on a Sunday. Then it is always on the 16th.