We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 yr old female, in NYC do not know anyone

Pearland, Texas...
1 post
Save Topic
20 yr old female, in NYC do not know anyone

Hi, I will be in Manhattan to visit a family member. However, they will be working for majority of my stay there. I want to go out to explore the city. Is it odd if I do that alone? It will be nice if I can meet with someone, so that they could show me around.

- Cherelle

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,872 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 yr old female, in NYC do not know anyone

Exploring cities alone is just the best.

For a tour try the Big Apple Greeters, they are an amazing group of volunteer guides. Truly special folk.

But other than that, buy a guide book, mark things that interest you, mark them on a map, buy a subway pass and have a blast pleasing yourself.

There are many, many single women enjoying NYC daily.

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 yr old female, in NYC do not know anyone

Go to www.freetoursbyfoot.com and sign up for some free walking tours. Great way to meet people and get insider info about NYC. My family will be taking 4 tours next week. The groups are small, so you have an opportunity to interact with the guide and other tourists.

My son explored NYC by himself last summer for a few days, and he had a blast doing what he wanted to do rather than trying to do what others wanted to do.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 yr old female, in NYC do not know anyone

Am I missing something?

Why would it be remotely odd to explore the city by yourself?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20 yr old female, in NYC do not know anyone

Welcome to the forum!

No, it is not unusual for visitors or locals to walks around and explore NYC by themselves. We do it all the time. In fact, I have to go clothes shopping alone because I feel too much pressure when I'm with someone!

Here is a collection of trip reports by solo travelers:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k474427-… Collection_of_trip_reports_from_SOLO_TRAVELLERS

Steal an itinerary!

My only other piece of advice would be to anyone travelling in a large city: Be alert!

Not only because the world needs more lerts, but because it is easy to get distracted, and you won't other eyes to watch your back. Pick pocketing will be your biggest concern here, so keep your valuables secured at all times and never hang your bag, purse or purchases on the back of a chair.

Also, if anything seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Just use common sense and you will be fine.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20 yr old female, in NYC do not know anyone

I (31 yo, female, weakling) love walking around nyc by myself. It means I can do what I want. :)

And I feel safer in manhattan than I do in my home town.

As long as you don't do anything dumb, you'll be fine. :)

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
209 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20 yr old female, in NYC do not know anyone

Im going to NYC for 5 nights end July/early Aug. Im a female travelling alone for the first time. I dont think its odd at all. It lets you see and do the things you want to do rather than being dragged around in a group

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
994 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20 yr old female, in NYC do not know anyone

Hi Brittany.

No one can ever guarantee that the random crazy incident won't happen, but I go to work each day and ride the subways without incident, and go alone to the museums when I feel like it. Nothing has ever happened to me.

Just take some common sense precautions, such as not going into Central Park alone after dark and avoiding areas that seem isolated. I also personally don't go into the subways after 8:00 pm just to be on the safe side. There's a not insignificant chance that you may see a person on the subways who is pretty obviously "off their meds," and it can be unsettling to encounter someone talking to themselves, but they're generally not going to actually confront you. If it bothers you, simply switch to another car at the next stop.

As long as you stay in the usual areas, you should have no problems. Get out there and have a great time!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 20 yr old female, in NYC do not know anyone

You dont go into the subways after 8pm? Really? They are actually SAFER than during the day.

I never found myself in any situations on the subway but then again I am quite scary!;-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 20 yr old female, in NYC do not know anyone

Oh gosh, being on the subways after 8 p.m. is fine; you can see all sorts of people regardless of time of day. If you need to get somewhere, do not hesitate to use the subway at night - it is usually packed with people.

You will be fine and, as mentioned, with the usual common sense precautions

Millions of people live here; do you suppose they are always traveling in pairs? You will see many people in restaurants, theaters, museums, shops, etc solo - not just tourists, but those of us who live here.

Minneapolis, mn
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 20 yr old female, in NYC do not know anyone

<<Am I missing something?

Why would it be remotely odd to explore the city by yourself?>>

Pretty sure that its her first time visiting NYC and she just wants some reassurance...advice..on how best to do this. Put yourself in a young 20 yr old females shoes for a second maybe?