We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in New York

Llandudno, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Topic
First time in New York

We are going to new york next week and would like your views on which is the best Top of the rock or empire state building

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in New York

Top Of The Rock

England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in New York

TOTR during the day, it has a good view of Central park. ESB for bragging rights, and the tradition that goes with it.

Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in New York

I was there last week and wanted to do both. I wanted to see the ESB at night from TOTR, but that was against all recommendations here. My daughter is scared of heights and I knew she could stay indoors at TOTR and she voted for that. She managed her fear and managed to visit the outdoor balconies enclosed in plexiglass, and even the tip-top open air roof after I had already done that part alone. Like Mrs. Puddle said above, I really wanted to visit ESB to say I did, but I got over it. I had been afraid I'd miss both unless I left daughter waiting someplace. FYI, you can get a Sunrise/Sunset pass for $38 at TOTR if you want to see it in light and at night....or just time it for just before sunset.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in New York

My vote would be top of the rock - you can see the one thing you can't see from the Empire State Building (the ESB :). Also, during the day/dusk you get a much better view of Central Park.

www.alittlebigapple.com

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in New York

If you can only do 1 do TOTR at sunset. That way you can see a day view of Central Park and then when it gets dark you can see The empire state building all lit up. When I went to NYC I went up the empire state building but I really wanted to do TOTR. if you can do both though, do it!

Wirral
Level Contributor
66 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in New York

Did TOTR in the day ESB in the night

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in New York

If you can do only one.....Top Of The Rock!

8. Re: First time in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 02:17