We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost/Left my camera bag and camera(s) on Amtrak

Union City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
Lost/Left my camera bag and camera(s) on Amtrak

On Saturday, June 9, 2012 in Harrisburg, PA, I boarded the Amtrak #672 Train to New York City/Penn Station.

I had too much luggage (as usual), which included my black camera bag with both my camcorder and my 35mm camera.

On the Everio camcorder I have video’s from 2011 to June 8th, 2012. That was the high school graduation of my adopted niece from Hughesville High School — including the footage of the American Sign Language Interpreter for her deaf father. Certainly memories we cannot replace.

Photos and more of the story on this link:

…wordpress.com/2012/…

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost/Left my camera bag and camera(s) on Amtrak

Does your camera have contact info on it?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost/Left my camera bag and camera(s) on Amtrak

I assume you have notified Amtrak since they are the only ones that can help you with this and they have a good lost and found program. No one here can help you unless they work for Amtrak

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,925 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost/Left my camera bag and camera(s) on Amtrak

Agree with the above posters. But this is another rminder of why videos should always be backed up to at least a pc and an external hard drive.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,601 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost/Left my camera bag and camera(s) on Amtrak

So, Amtrak already, right?

Do people still turn things into LE?

Any identifiers on your stuff? Perhaps the name of the high school was in the video...a restaurant where you celebrated, whatever. Someone might contact them. You do the same. And keep checking back.

Then ebay.

These can be helpful. The first one..the first couple are successes and then there are 50 pages..of course, going further back than you need. The second one you need to be a member for security purposes so I haven't looked into it but they call themselves the one that started this whole idea:

http://www.ifoundyourcamera.net/

http://www.camerafound.com/

This one is also interesting. You can opt out of "stolen" and "lost" and just check "found" in the little white box on the map.

www.stolencamerafinder.com/lostandfound.jsp

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost/Left my camera bag and camera(s) on Amtrak

What is the reference to EBAY--- do you mean someone may try to sell the stuff and I suspect most people if they found something on AMtrak they would turn it in on the train... are their dishonest people in the world sure but most people are not

Edited: 11 June 2012, 18:37
New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost/Left my camera bag and camera(s) on Amtrak

"But this is another rminder of why videos should always be backed up to at least a pc and an external hard drive."

No. It is a reminder that one should never as the op put it:

"I had too much luggage (as usual), "

I only carry two bags when I travel. I have two hands, two eyes so I am only good for carrying/watching two bags. What is the point of backing up if the backup get lost too.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,566 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost/Left my camera bag and camera(s) on Amtrak

Too late for you, but somewhere on TA I read this hint.

At the beginning of EVERY memory card there should be a shot of your name and contact numbers.This way--if someone does find the camera, rather than posting online they know how to contact you directly!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,925 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost/Left my camera bag and camera(s) on Amtrak

Regardless of whether the camera was lost or stolen, backing up would save this poor sould a whole ton of sadness. Not taking too much stuff is a greta concept, but cannot always be avoided. Backing up, and having identifying info on the HD or memory car means that only the hardware is lost, not the memories.

I back up to my PC and to an external hard drive. Clearly the OP has lost stuff that is a year old on her HD video camers (I own the same one) it has an auto back up feature, which I use.

Why would you carry the back up with you? My is on the CLOUD!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost/Left my camera bag and camera(s) on Amtrak

I used to back up to my laptop and an external hard drive (which were kept in separate bags). Now, I back up to my laptop and the cloud - Dropbox! Very quick and easy.

another tip - count your bags. I try to only travel in 2 bags as well, but I always know how many bags I have, then I make sure I leave with as many bags as I came with (a trick learned on my first business trip when I had to carry 3-4 bags)

I would email the school and ask if they have a copy of the video, or can supply you with the email list of the other parents, so you can ask them for a copy.

and, unrelated, but key - make sure to always tell the driver you have a bag in the trunk as your cab is arriving anywhere. My fear is always that the cab driver will forget and drive off as soon as I get out. of the car.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 11 June 2012, 22:03
New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lost/Left my camera bag and camera(s) on Amtrak

Can't you just ask the mystical beyond where it is?

https://twitter.com/#!/PsychicANGELA28

https:/…psychic-angelaura28