We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jfk transfers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
jfk transfers

I asked this question a few months ago and I am very confused with responses.

Will a yellow taxi fit 4 adults with 4 suitcases to our hotel in manhatten, simple as that..

'Best of NYC' Lower Manhattan Private...
29 Reviews
from US$575.00*
New York City Full-Day Sightseeing...
12 Reviews
from US$69.99*
Likely To Sell Out
New York City Lights Skyline...
13 Reviews
from US$244.00*
NYC at Night Bus Tour
278 Reviews
from US$59.00*
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jfk transfers

All taxis can carry at least 4 adult passengers. Depending on the size of the taxi (because they are not all the same size, after all -- different makes and models of cars are used as taxis in NYC) and the size of the suitcases, the taxi may also be able to carry your suitcasees, too. In any case, it won't be as if you will be hailing a taxi on your own -- at JFK, the taxi line is controlled by a dispatcher from the Taxi and Limousine Commission, and he can make sure that you get a vehicle that is large enough. (In other words, if the taxi at the head of the line of taxis when you reach the head of the line of passengers is too small, the dispatcher will put someone else in that, and will pull the next taxi out of the line that is big enough for you.)

Why not just avoid this probloem by reserving a car (typically, a big Lincoln Town Car) from a car service such as AllState, Dial7, or Carmel?

Edited: 12 June 2012, 05:31
Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jfk transfers

thanks mate for that

Laidley, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jfk transfers

Once they see your party and luggage you will most likely get a people mover cab. It is $45 set fee regardless. Very easy system

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jfk transfers

its $45.50 plus tips and any toll

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jfk transfers

A car service like " dial 7 " costs about the same as a cabwith a fixed price and is alot nicer .

No need to prebook , just dial # 34 ( for dial 7 ) from the ground transportation desk once you clear baggage claim , you are then given a car number and an exact meeting place at the front of the terminal to meet the driver . It is very easy . The cars are large and can easily accomodate 4 adults with luggage

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: jfk transfers

Hi,

Sorry to gatecrash this thread! If you prebook a care service such as Dial 7, does the price that you are quoted include any tolls? Also, what would be an appropriate tip for a journey from JFK to lower Manhattan / Tribeca?

Thanks very much

Mentioned in this post
TriBeCa
TriBeCa
264 Reviews
New York City, NY
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jfk transfers

a suitable tip would be around 20% of the base fare

Tolls are extra to the base price - I would just ask them what the tolls would be

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: jfk transfers

Thanks very much for getting back to me so quickly LMVManchester. I of course meant a car service in my previous post, although the thought of a "care" service would be quite appealing. Anyone got any suggestions...?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jfk transfers

The cost advertised on " dial 7 " from JFK to Manhattan is $46 + tolls and tip , we ussualy pay about $65 total ,

The tolls are depending on which way you get into Mahatthan

We don"t prebook the car service , if you are delayed along the way you may miss your car or have to pay extra for them to wait , we usually just call them from the Ground Transportation Desk after we clear the baggage claim

http://www.dial7.com/transportation_rates_NY

Edited: 12 June 2012, 10:52
Mentioned in this post
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: jfk transfers

Hi ree-nyc ,

That's good advice - thanks very much for taking the time to reply.