We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some help planning NYC trip!

Holland
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need some help planning NYC trip!

Hello everybody,

I'm staying from 1st of october for 3,5 days in New York with my 10 best friens, but i need really some help from you guys!

We are thinking to get the ,,hop on hop off bus tour,, for 72 hours so that we can hop on and get of and see the attractions. I know that this is not for transportation, so if we have to go somewhere fast we take the metro, but i heard really good reviews for the downtown and night tour. Do we have enough time for this bbus tour???

So my question is, can someone give me a good day to day planning with the attractions here below???

Day 1: arriving at 12:45, shuttle to hotel, check in hotel in Jersey City and then eat and explore at Times Square

Day 2 & 3:

Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island

Top of the Rock or Empire Statue Buildig (or both)

9/11 memorial

Ground zero workshop museum

Brooklyn Bridge with look out point

Grand Central Station Hall

Times Square

Broadway

Central Park

Day 4: The boys are going to Sixflags and in the evening to Jersey Shore and me and my 4 girls we want to do some girl things

- Soho

- Nolita

- Greenwich Village

- Central Park by Bike

- Picknick in Central Park

- 5th avenue

- Little italy

Thanks in advance,

Greetings Ivy from Holland

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some help planning NYC trip!

forget the shuttle - use public transport, cab, or car service

dont do ground zero workshop musuem its not recommended on here

little italy is mainly chinese these days

I wouldnt do 3 days of HOHO one day is more than enough - the subway (not metro) is cheap fast and efficient

Holland
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some help planning NYC trip!

Thanks for your input...

Maybe we can do one day HoHo en do the downtown and night tour and the rest with public transport !!

For that workshop i saw a lot of positive reviews and we realy want to go there, also the 9/11 memorial !!

Hope that someone can help me to put our attractions in a two day scedual...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some help planning NYC trip!

You can go on the HOHO bus in one continuous loop and see everything in one go so that everyone gets a good overview. Then later in the trip you can split up and visit the places that appealed most to you, on your own or in smaller groups. I would walk to these places or take the subway to get there if needed.

Regarding the museum, if you haven't read on here about the Ground Zero Workshop Museum, you should BEFORE deciding to go. If you already know that this is NOT part of the World Trade Centre Memorial and you still want to go, that is your choice, but know that it will upset many people for what I think are valid reasons.

Sometimes visitors to NYC have written good reports about the WTC "Memorial" and submitted it under "Ground Zero Workshop..." by mistake so it might be confusing if you haven't read the answers to other people's questions before you posted your own question about the Ground Zero Workshop Museum.

Also, the people of New York have been asked to stop calling the site "ground zero" and we, visitors to New York, should respect that. Again you have every right to disagree, just make sure you know what you are defending first. Thank you.

Edited: 12 June 2012, 23:22
New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some help planning NYC trip!

Don't go to the Ground Zero Museum Workshop. This link explains why.

www.chiefly.org/2010/10/09/gary-marlon-suson/

Holland
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some help planning NYC trip!

Húh this really confuses me, yes i saw all the comments about how great ,,the Ground Zero Workshop museum,, is but all theese good comments are mentioned for ,,the 9/11 memorial,, ?????

Cause i also see some good comments about the museum though.....

I think i have to look very good before going because $25 is quit a big amount of money for a tourist trap !!

Guys, can you maybe help me with planning theese 2 days ??

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some help planning NYC trip!

The majority of the reviews you see are for the 911 Memorial. People who continue to use the term 'ground zero' get confused. They visit the beautiful Memorial site of the World Trade Center and they want to share their experiences. So they do a search for 'ground zero' and THINK they are posting about where they have visited but they aren't. Once people stop using the term 'ground zero' this will not be an issue.

Here is the proper site for the Memorial. It is FREE.

http://www.911memorial.org/

7. Re: Need some help planning NYC trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2013, 01:49
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some help planning NYC trip!

business must be TERRIBLE!

advertising on the forum is not permitted

reported

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some help planning NYC trip!

Get yourself a map of the city and of the subway system. I presume you will be taking the PATH train in and out of the city. The map will help you group the things you want to see by area and you won't waste time going back and forth..

For instance: the boat for the SOL is at the lowest tip of Manhattan, so you would do that, plus the 911 Memorial( the official one, folks who know are telling you about the other), and the Brooklyn Bridge together because they are near- ish to each other

If you must do the bus, do it your first day. Do you intend to see a Broadway play, at some point? Why do you have Times Square for your second day when you will have seen it, on your first day?

Are you going to go to the the Statue of Liberty or did you just want to see oy from a distance? If you do not have advance tickets, you will spend (waste) a lot of time waiting in a line

They say bikes in Central Park is not the best way to see it as bikes are not allowed everywhere. Best way to see the park is on foot.

Jersey Shore AND Six Flags is overly ambitious. How are the boys getting there?

I think you are trying to pack WAY too much in and that you are underestimating the time it takes to actually SEE what you want to see. Like your last day. In order to picnic in Central Park and enjoy it, you would have to RUN through GV, Nolita, Soho and Little Italy ( which is actually Chinatown).

Pick one and save the rest for next time..:)

Holland
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Need some help planning NYC trip!

@ Dee2673, thnx for your post, it hepls ma a lot :)

But yes we will using the Path train, our hotel is 5 minutes away from Journal Square so this is the way we're going into Manhatten. This weekend i will try to find a good map and marke all the sights wich are together...

The guys are renting a car, so to six flags about 1,5 hour en than another 50 minutes to Jersey shore, i guess it's seaside hights and the ladies will have another day in the city :)

SOL we will book our tickets in advance aswell for TOTR, ESB and 9/11 memorial and i know we have to much sights in to less time, so this will be 3 rush days, but after that we are going to enjoy 3 weeks of Miami, The Keys and Kissimmee :)

Have one more question for you, at the 9/11 memorial is there also an museum of exhabition we can visit?

Greetings from Ivy