We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Astoria late night?

Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Topic
Safety in Astoria late night?

My 21 year old daughter needs a sublet for July and August. She is considering one in Astoria (36 & Broadway area). She will be in NYC for a production that will require rehearsals 7pm-11pm every night somewhere in Manhattan (the location details are not finalized yet). I'm concerned about her getting from the subway stop to the sublet. Are there restaurants/shops open late? Are there people on the streets or does everything shut down? Also, I've read that it is difficult to get a cab into Queens from Manhattan at night, is this true?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Astoria late night?

"I've read that it is difficult to get a cab into Queens from Manhattan at night, is this true?"

No. A cab driver cannot deny someone a trip to anywhere in New York City

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Astoria late night?

Hey LT1004:-) Astoria has a huge Greek population..and they're known for late nights;-) Lots of cafes and restaurants will certainly still be open.. many don't even head out to eat till 10p! Don't see why she'd have a problem grabbing a cab.. a driver cannot refuse a passenger if they are traveling within the City limits..and fwiw, Astoria is not far..right across the East River;-) Normal precautions taken anywhere..am sure she'll enjoy the neighborhood!

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Astoria late night?

I lived in Astoria for six years. It's a very lively area at night, and 36th and Broadway is in the heart of the business district. Many of the cafes and bars are open well past midnight. I also never had problems getting a cab there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Astoria late night?

and safety is not an issue either in Astoria - I liked it as a neighbourhood

Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Astoria late night?

Thank you all for your responses, I feel so much better!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Astoria late night?

You're welcome LT1004:-) Glad you feel better;-) Keep enjoyin'!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,916 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Astoria late night?

I live in Brooklyn and even though by law taxis have to take me to Brooklyn, I often get a lot of griping even though I live about 1/2 mile from the Manhattan Bridge so hardly deep into Brooklyn but many will still get pissy about it.

I never say where I am going until I am in the cab and have closed the door; learned the hard way - there were times years ago when I first moved from Manhattan, they would pull up and ask me where I was going and I was foolish enough to say "Fort Greene" before getting in, only to have them zoom off. But, that was years ago and I learned to never say where until I'm in it.

You might suggest the same advice to her if she does use any taxis going to Queens.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Astoria late night?

That area looks to be very accessible by subway too, either the N station on Broadway, or the R station at Steinway. There will still be people on those trains after 11 PM.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Astoria late night?

If your daughter has a sweet tooth - send her to Artopolis for the best Greeek pastries this side of Athens. Baclava, Galectoburekas and a whole host of delicious offerings. I am getting hungry just thinking about them. Here is their web site. The photos will make you drool on the keyboard.

http://www.artopolis.net/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Astoria late night?

Great call with Artopolis..who also bake fresh breads..along with spinach, cheese pies;-) The 'cafe culture' prevails here as well.. chances are she'll be sipping 'frappe' (Greek ice coffee) at the Athens Corner or Omonia cafe before she knows it..as well as shopping for Feta at Titan supermarket.. one amongst many Greek/Med markets in area;-) Enjoyin'!