We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in NYC

Northrepps, null...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First time in NYC

Hello

My wife and I are visiting New York on the 18th June for a long weekend, and I wondered if I could pick the brains if some of you kind folk out there..:-)

We are staying at the Novotel on W52nd street, just off Times Square, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good restaurants nearby both for evening meal and breakfast, I particularly would like to try a typical Diner style American breakfast and a Joey Tribbiani style Meatball sandwich, being a bit of a fatty...;-)

Also we would like to pay our respects at Ground Zero, is the best way to this via the 9/11 memorial or can we go down there on our own? We have got NY explorer pass(pick 3) and I really would like to go to the Top of the Rock & the Empire State Building(one in the evening and one in the daytime) and use our remaining pass for a 24hr hop on hop off bus pass, we don't really want to use a pass for 9/11 memorial if we can go on our own..?

Many many thanks in Advance for your help

Chris x

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in NYC

The absolute best meatball sandwich is at Carmine's on W. 44th St. between Broadway and 8th Ave., a short walk from your hotel. Sit at the bar and order one, but just a warning that the place is packed from late afternoon on. Go early and enjoy it.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in NYC

Note that your hotel is not "just off Times Square", but is instead a quarter mile north of the northern edge of Times (actually Duffy) Square, which ends at 47th Street. This is actually a very good thing for you, as Times Square can be annoying, and there are few places to eat or drink in the immediate vicinity that are not mediocre, overpriced, tourist-trap chain restaurants.

For a diner breakfast, you can go to the Cosmic Diner, which is at the Eighth Avenue end of the block where your hotel is, or you can go up Broadway to 55th Street, and have breakfast at the Applejack Diner. My favorite diner in midtown is the Skylight, at 34th Street and Ninth Avenue, but that is a bit far from where you will be -- for what you want, either of the above choices (whcih are open 24 hours, by the way) would do.

You can make a reservation for the 9/11 memorial on your own; the tickets are free.

https://www.911memorial.org/visit

Note that for intersting places to eat, just head west to Ninth Avenue, and you will find yourself in the middle of a mile-long stretch of restaurants. Just walk up and down and look at the menus posted near the door; go in if you see something that appeals to you.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,814 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in NYC

The 18th of June is a Monday - Just how long is your weekend. If it is more than 4 days, get a 7 day metro card and use your pas for something else. If you are going to the Sept 11th Memorial, you need to arrange your pass at www.911memorial.org

If you must spend your weekend leaving NYC to stand on 2 high buildings then do Top of the Rock during the day and the ESB at night. Otherwise just do TOTR. If you must get on a HOHO for 24 hrs, get on early in the morning when the buses are empty, the tour guides are fresh and the traffic is light.

For meatballs, I like the Meatball Shop on Stanton near the Tenement Museum.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2011/05/world-trade-…

Northrepps, null...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in NYC

D'oh! My bad, wrong date, we get to NYC Thursday 21st at 5pm, and return to England on Monday night. That's why I wanted a restaurant close to W52 because tiredness will be a factor Thursday night.

Thank you very much guys for your advice, all suggestions duly noted :-)

It appears that the 9/11 memorial is fully booked when we're there :-( I guess we will just get as close as we are able and pay our respects that way..

Do you not think that we should do both the ESB & TOTR then? Just TOTR, so you can see the ESB..?

Finally sorry to be a pain, but I don't want to be just another crap tourist wandering round with his head in a map, so could you advise me where's the best place in NYC to get clothes especially smart American style clothes for my two little boys, I'd like to go to Woodbury Common, but I think that would probably be an all day job...

Thank you guys!!!

Chris x

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in NYC

The 9/11 memorial often makes tickets available at the last minute, keep checking up tot he day you want to go.

What kind of clothes are you looking for, and how old are the boys?

Northrepps, null...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in NYC

Hi,

I think we will certainley go to the Cosmic Diner it looks just the job and is nice and close for breakfast. Thanks again!

My boys are 4 & 6, we're really looking for good value clothes that we can't get over here, and for us too, my wife wants shoes (inevitably) and I'd like some sneakers again the sort I can't buy easily in the UK..

I'll keep checking the 9/11 memorial website.

Thank you for your help:-))

Chris x

Thank you guys

Chris x

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in NYC

Chris M--

You should check into the Hop On Hop Off Water Taxi for the 9/11 Memorial Tickets. They have that option.

You might also try Macys for shopping. Since you are limited for time they would have anything and everything you are looking for. Just beware the store is HUGE! You can get a discount of 10% off purchases since you live more than 250 miles away. It is located at 34th and Broadway or 7th Ave (where Broadway and 7th cross). You can't miss it.

Enjoy your trip!

Cyndi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in NYC

The Water Taxi is definitely the way to go if you are unable to get tickets for the 9/11 Memorial from the website....and it is always great to see NYC from the water, so whilst not the cheapest way to get downtown to the memorial, it is a great alternative.

Re TOTR or ESB, if you only have the time to do one, then my pick would be TOTR if by day but ESB if you are going in the evening.

Have a great time!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in NYC

The ESB has long lines and you will not be able to skip the line, with your pass. You can be up and back down from the T OTR in as little as an hour, depending on how long you spend up there. My favorite time is dusk, so that you can see Central Park before it turns into a big black rectangle AND see the lights of the city come up all around you, including the lights of he ESB

Northrepps, null...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in NYC

Thank you very much everybody! The water taxi looks like a winner for visiting the 9/11 memorial. I think we will plump the TOTR at dusk instead of the ESB, and will certainly get to Macy's!

Being form a little Norfolk town in the UK, NYC will seem very daunting, we just want to fit in as much as possible.

Is Woodbury Common worth visiting for shopping? As we only have three full days I'm slightly unwilling to spend a whole day away from the City just to visit a shopping centre. When we might be able to get much the clothes for my boys at Macy's or elsewhere?

Thank you again everyone

Chris x